GO!

House Training Issues

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 8:07pm PST 
I think leaving both food and water is a good idea. Or if not food at least some treats, or a kong stuffed with treats or peanut butter would be good, and also keep them busy for a while. Although I do not crate my puppy yet ( I just haven't got a crate yet) crate training is a great option but if my info about leaving food and water is wrong please feel free to correct me if someone knows better.
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 9:16pm PST 
Well I haven't ever crated any of my babies before but with my newest little girl Sophie, I think it's a good idea since she won't potty around me! I have mixed feelings about food and water in crate. I think it seems mean and neglectful to not leave any on one hand but on the other hand, I'm afraid she might spill her water and get all wet and in the water frown And also, her having food and water all day might make her have to pee or poop worse and maybe lead to an accident in age! Not sure which I want to do frown if anyone has any experience or other opinions let us know! I'm sure Lexus would like a second opinion as well! smile
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:43pm PST 
thats a good point Ty, I am not sure and would also like to hear others opinions on that, cause I know with my puppy she has to poop about 30 mins after she eats....hmmm I think I would just skip the food and make sure she has stuff to keep her busy, she will not starve or dehydrate while you are at work i wouldn't think.
As long as she has comfy bedding and toys thats are safe unsupervised right?
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 12:25am PST 
"I stayed out there with her for 30 minutes before I finally gave up & went inside. About 2 hours later (she still hadn't went even after I took her out 3 more times) I went to take a shower and when I got out she had pooped on her pee pad by the front door."

I've read in an article somewhere on the internet that no matter how long it would have to take for your dog to pee or poop outside, you should wait. I know it can be a little frustrating having to wait for hours especially if it's cold outside, but patience really is key.

As for crate training, I don't think putting water inside the crate would be a great idea as your dog could step or roll over it and there would be no water left. But that's just my opinion.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2