GO!

House Training Issues

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:04pm PST 
I just got a Shih Tzu and poodle mix that's around 7 months to a year old. She was partially pad trained but I want her to go outside. It's very challenging though because she WILL NOT pee or poop when I am watching her. As soon as I leave the rooms he does it. I have taken her out on a leash for 30 minutes and she will not pee or poop outside. I'm wondering if its possible to train her! I'm just frustrated frown lol I would just love any advice anyone has!! Thanks in advance smile
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:25pm PST 
Aw the poor thing....sounds like she used to get into big time trouble for having accidents. Did you get him from a shelter? I think that it is still entirely possible to train him...it may take some extra time because it does sound like he is scared to go in font of you. How long have you had him for? A really good idea would be to keep him tethered to you, and try to understand his cues for when he needs to "go" take him out often. While he is tethered to you he shouldn't have an accident so he will have to go at some point or another and when he does go outside have some yummy treats and praise him...however because he seems fearful to go in front of you I would be careful not to over praise, you dont want to freak him out more over going to the bathroom. So a yummy treat and a couple pats on the head should do fine, and continue this as long as it takes. Also a big thing is to make sure you are cleaning the floors very very well where he has gone and with the proper cleaner, otherwise he will keep going in the house if his scent is anywhere to be found. If you can't have him tethered to you all of the time then crate training is a good option as well, dogs dont like to go potty where they sleep. A huge thing though, when you see his mess on the floor do not scold him or another huge mistake people make is putting their nose in it. If you dont catch him like mid stream literally just clean the spot and move on, otherwise it will just confuse him, if you happen to catch him in the act again no need to scold and give trouble, simply say "outside" in a firm but non angry voice and bring him outside. I wish you the best of luck, and dont give up on your pup i am sure he will catch on to things. way to go
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:29pm PST 
I should apologize i kept referring to your pup as a "he", and apparently she is a she BOL!!! sorry about that. Also I wanted to add, you mentioned she was almost trained on puppy pads....one idea could be laying a puppy pad outdoors where you want her to go potty. I have heard of people doing that with success. And then you can slowly remove the puppy pad all together when she has the hang of going outside.
[notify]

Kye

I'm like- Einstein only- hairier.

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:57pm PST 
A girlfriend of mine has a 9 month old puppy that was only partially housebroken until she put one of those cloth doggy diapers on him. He peed in it once then refused to do it ever again, she just took the diaper off when he went outside. You may have to make frequent trips outside at first but my friend had him completely house trained in 2 weeks using the diaper. blue dog
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 9:05pm PST 
When she does pee inside when you are not around, what do you do? Do you let her see you cleaning up after her mess? Do you scold her and rub her face in her pee or what? These things matter too, so a little more information would help.
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 9:09pm PST 
Thank you for responding so quickly!! She was a stray someone had dumped In a neighborhood and I saw where a lady on Facebook had posted a pic of her and was taking care of her until she could find her a permanent home. She said when she found her she was starving to death skin and bones. She had her do r about 2 weeks before I got her this passed Friday! She is so beautiful inside & out! She is all white with one black spot on her side and her face is half white and half black (it splits right down the center of her face) very unique looking! She is also sooo sweet and good natured with a ll strangers and other dogs. I thought maybe she would get in trouble for potting in the house and that is why she's so scared and then maybe the previous owners drop per her off because they couldn't train her. So sad that they would drop such a sweet girl out! I have tried putting the pad outside after she used it inside. Hasn't worked yet but I'm just trying to be persistent!! smile
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 9:29pm PST 
Well I have only caught her in the act once! She only does it when I'm not around. She started to poop once and I saw her no I said "No no" in a stern voice and just took her outside to try and get her to finish out there and she wouldn't! I stayed out there with her for 30 minutes before I finally gave up & went inside. About 2 hours later (she still hadn't went even after I took her out 3 more times) I went to take a shower and when I got out she had pooped on her pee pad by the front door. She just about refuses to do it outside or when I am around! I assume she must have gotten in bad trouble for using potty indoors by whoever her previous owners were frown as she was a starving stray someone had dumped out when I got her frown But I would never rub her nose in it. That is just mean and will just make her scared of me and is no good for either of us. I've been trying to just simply correct her behavior.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 4:09am PST 
Consistency will be the key. Can you put an X pen outside so you can turn your back, look away and let her go? Be careful about scolding her when you catch her going inside, she is already afraid to go in front of you, being scolded might just reinforce that going potty in front of a person is a bad idea.

If you are using potty pads near the door, don't scold her for using them even though you want her to go outside. I think you will probably need to keep her tethered or crated while potty training.

If she is small, also consider just letting her use potty pads. Icky, but if that is what works....the trick will be for her to learn to trust you and finding opportunities to treat and praise for going outside or on the pad.

I was almost a year old before I could be fully trusted inside and I was in a good home from 6 weeks on. My person has heard it is harder to house train small dogs and I was certainly the most challenging dog she ever house trained.

Good Luck and keep the faith.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 6:10am PST 
Keep at it and it will work out. You might even try taking one of the pee pads she has used (gross I know) but put that one outside so her scent is there. Also if you think you might know when she is gunna "go" maybe leave the room for a moment but peer back in at her to see if you can catch her and right away take her outside right while she is in the middle of going. And I can't stress enough not to scold because it will only make things worse, but it sounds like your not doing doing that anyways. Good for you BTW taking her in and giving her a home, these things happen all to often, she seems like a sweet puppy, she will learn it will take time though and a ton of patience. One thing I had to do with my puppy because she seemed a little concerned that I was following her around with a leash outside I went and bought a longer lead (nylon rope) so that she had her freedom to go and find a spot on her own and that seemed to work better and she has no problem peeing while she is on a leash now.
Please keep us posted on how she is doing and congrats on the new addition in your family .
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 7:20pm PST 
Thanks for everyone's advice! I think I am going to attempt crate training! I do work some days so on days I work I can come home on my lunch break and let her out to potty. I do feel bad making her stay in crate though...I will have to give her extra attention and extra walks when I get home! Am I supposed to put water in crate? I hate for her not to have water available. Although I will give her some on my lunch breaks.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2