GO!

Sarah hates...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
ARCH Demon RL1, RL2, RL3, RLV

Intimidation- seldom- facilitates- learning

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:17pm PST 
I am sorry, I DID assume this was for Rally? Am I correct?

Those right finishes are fine for C-WAGS Rally. Cleaning it up comes with time (for example, I am working on getting Demon's finishes on verbal only and getting those hoppy, jumping into place left finishes).

What level do you plan to enter? There are no finishes in Starter, only forwards. And no left pivots (although I LIKE left pivots because I have a dog that backs into heel on a left pivot).

You look great. Don't stress.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:34pm PST 
Thanks! Yes, this is for Rally. I am doing Starter and Blackjack Level 1 (which I am doomed to fail due to getting LOST!!). They are offering the trials as a "league", on Friday nights and you have to do two runs every night. It was either Starter & Blackjack or Zoom 1.5 and Colors 2. We aren't ready (not sure we ever will be) for anything above level 1...

So if Starter has only right forwards, I should be having her go around back and then move forward and have her walk with me.

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 12:34pm PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 1:39pm PST 
Yup, starter only has forwards. APDT Level and AKC Novice have finishes. I like C-WAGS because of all the possibilities.

And you look fine. I don't think I would take off any points for a right finish like the ones you were doing.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 2:39pm PST 
Awesome! Thanks! It's good to hear some clear, positive feedback! Now I just need to work on her getting to do those right forwards without the lure, and fixing those crooked sits/downs. I am not expecting to place well, but I do hope to get a title by the end of the league! Thanks for talking me through it!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 2:45pm PST 
You will be fine. Do the lure 6 times, than use the same hand movement without food and jackpot when she gets it.

And sits and downs will only lose you a point or so if they are crooked (unless they are very crooked). It is hard to see what is straight with a small dog. Do you have a big mirror to practice with or someone who can click position for you?
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:00pm PST 
No mirror and no helperfrown. It's just me and the furry four-leggers in the house! I am going to work her against the wall to practice. My dog friends either aren't interested in training, use methods I won't use, or because of work/distance can't help! The training facility I have used does have a large floor-level mirror, but I don't really want to take another class right now. confused
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 4:36pm PST 
Sarah, mirrors are REALLY CHEAP at thrift stores and used furniture stores. We got two HUGE wall ones for $20 each. I love using a mirror to train, would be lost without it!

edited... never use your back button on the iPad when posting or doing ANYTHING where you submit something, like an order to Amazon, even. It WILL double post, BUT will usually ask you if you want to submit this form again. Say NO, and go back via the top headers.

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 4:40pm PST

[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:03pm PST 
Thanks for the tips on the iPad and the mirrors Toto! I will stop at the store tomorrow and see what they have.

I forgot I have to teach her to "stand". We did two training sessions this morning and one more tonight, and she's got right finish and right forward down pat. Seriously I am in trouble... Good thing this is a 6 week long league, maybe by the end we can do it! haha!!! I also continue to be amazed with how smart my dog is big grin
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:33pm PST 
Looks like you got a ton of already amazing feedback, but for my own experience I used freeshaping with treats to finesse Miyu's down. She KNEW it, but there was a point where she'd look at me like my head sprouted another nostril when I asked her to down. "Whatchoo askin' me to doooo?" laugh out loud

So I've started giving her treats when she goes into a down. She offers it to me, I mark with a "Yes", and then give her the treat. I've extended it also to being outside, around people and distractions. If we're at a dog friendly place eating, I reward heavily her being down, and calm, and still. She now gets treated randomly, but often enough that she has incentive to stay down. Food's her biggest motivator, so that is HUGE. She knows, it's connected, and she offers it all the time now. Just standing around not doing anything? Oh Mom, here's a down, aren't I being good? And guess what? Now when I make the sign for down she couldn't hit the ground faster.

It worked so well I've begun to use the same concept for her waits/stays. I didn't realize this until one of our agility classes, but stupid me, I was rewarding her stay at the wrong time. We've been working at this a little more and she already shown massive improvement. So yeah. Especially if Sarah is food motivated, freeshaping done right is something I really have had good experience with. Definitely try working with somebody if you can on it though. Timing is so huge on any training, I know that if I tried this by myself I'd err horribly, and then you get a dog that gets so frantic and excited for the treat they'll offer you thisthathowabouthisnowdididoitright??? laugh out loud Our trainer's even confessed she ruined her first dog with free shaping because of her inexperience. So yeah. Just sharing what worked for us.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 3:36am PST 
Oh, stand, ick, I hate halt-sit-stand. It was ALWAYS a crapshoot with Asher, I never knew if he was going to do it or not. Moving stands? He rocked. Down or sit stands? Ick.

As a result, the rest of my dogs have a really nice halt=sit=stand and a decent down-stand.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4