GO!

Barking

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

The- Troublesome- 2 Kc &- Cooper

You must pet me- before you pet- the other

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:18am PST 
I don't know how to stop it. We let her out, she 'goes', and she begins to bark. Then we go get heer leash, bring her in and we ignore the pacing. But eventually, we'll have to go out and we let her outside and the barking starts... And Cooper's no innocent angel either. Kc barks like a normal beagle be Cooper barks in a billion different pitches. I don't know how to stop it. Any ideas would be appreciated.thinking
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:28pm PST 
Teach them to bark on cue. Then teach them a quiet cue.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:50pm PST 
Generally dogs bark for 2 reasons outside. They're scared or bored. First figure out the cause then solve the problem. Are they getting enough exercise? Are you giving them things to do? You have beagles. They are inquisitive and energetic by nature.
And yes always a good idea to teach speak and quiet.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 10:03pm PST 
Dogs bark for many reasons. Maybe he's got an underlying medical problem that you need to find out? Try taking him to a vet then.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 6:56am PST 
what is she doing when she's barking? I have 3 beagles and one will bark when he's running around playing. Sometimes he starts barking because he wants back in. One barks at critters on the other side of the fence. Does she just go out and start barking for no reason or is there usually a reason for it?
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 7:48am PST 
How often do you walk them? When my Dachshund misses a few walks, she gets more vocal. She gets bored and creates a job for herself.
We have a beagle next door and 2 across the street that pretty much bark continuously when they're out. None of them get walked, they are bored, and it's become a habit.
It's tough living next door to a barky dog because Lupi's instinct is to join in. If she started barking with them, I would bring her right back inside. Eventually she learned that she needed to be quiet. Now she will mostly ignore the barking going on around her and just lay in her sunny spot (her favorite thing to do in our yard)
Try going out with her and see what's getting her going. Is there another dog nearby? Squirrels? Are there noises she can't figure out? Or is she trying to get you to go outside and play with her?
Once you know why, you'll have a better chance of solving the problem.
[notify]