GO!

How Do I Teach...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 2:01pm PST 
I think I'm going to use "Focus" as the command to watch me.

~~~~~

How do I teach her to lie down?
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 2:24pm PST 
Can you lure it? Ie, stick a treat in front of her nose, bring it down her chest to the floor then out and click when her elbow touch the floor? If not, I can give you other suggestions.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 5:10pm PST 
If it helps at all to see progression, this is the fourth training session I did with Jagger. The one I posted before was taken about a month and a half after this one:

Early Training with Jag

If you compare the two, you can see the huge difference in his behavior and attention to me. Even though I didn't get as far along in his training as I would have liked, he still made a lot of progress in the time I had him. But it took time. He didn't become focused overnight nor did he learn to walk nicely on a leash among distractions. smile You've got the right idea and, as long as you're consistent and patient, she'll catch on quickly. In a few months, I bet you'll be surprised how far she's come!

When I train, I don't have a "watch me" cue, per se. Ris' name is a cue to look at me if I need to get her attention but that's about as close to a "watch me" cue as I get. I build up the behavior of looking at me by rewarding the heck out of it. She gets rewarded for looking at me before I throw toys, before she eats, before I let her out of a door AND in training sessions. I basically reward it so heavily that it becomes a default behavior. If she's not sure what to do, she will look at me for instruction without me needing to ask for her attention. (Well, most of the time. She is a dog after all.) I also build attention into the behaviors I train. For me, heeling isn't just walking in line with my left leg. It's doing that PLUS looking at me. If she's not making eye contact, it's not rewardable. smile

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 5:15pm PST

[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 4:59am PST 
I use a name for a focus cue also (and do a lot of clicking for passive focus). And I also classically condition my dog's name (name, treat, repeat).

I wish I could like Dogster posts so I could Like Risa's.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3