GO!

Help Me I have Tried Everything and Im at my wits end...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Vienna

Little V

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 5:17pm PST 
I have a doxie/chiuahua mix (Vienna) She will be a year old soon. This all started when she was 4 months old. It was the last week of her puppy training at petsmart and she suddenly started being snappy with this other dog that was in her class and its weird because they played together and cuddled and what not and then all of a sudden she started doing that. Now that shes a year old she still does it but its only certian dogs. Theres only 8 dogs that i know of so far that she gets along with. I have tried everything to get her to stop or figure out why shes doing this please help me,.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 4:22am PST 
A qualified animal behaviorist--not just a trainer--can help you. They'll need to observe Vienna and how she reacts to other dogs. They'll need a lot more detail about exactly what happens, under what circumstances, etc.

Remember that just as we are not buddies with every human we meet, dogs don't like every other dog they meet--and some are more social than others.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 6:48am PST 
What have you tried?
[notify]

Vienna

Little V

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 11:53am PST 
i have tried putting her in every petsmart class so she can get used to other dogs around ive tried telling her wrong and leave it i have tried a squirt bottle and squirting her and now i just bought a shock collar it has the option of either a beeping sound or the shock i have only shocked her 3 times but only cause she was digging and eating cat food. I havent tried it with her snapping at another dog.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 12:32pm PST 
Uh, throw away the shock collar. That is doing nothing but making the situation worse.

You need a good behaviorist to work with you. Someone who doesn't use shock collars.

Asher will most likely pop in again and give you really good advice.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 2:25pm PST 
I agree with Moose, get rid of the shock collar. You can make things much worse.

Not all dogs need to be social. Not all dogs need to play with other dogs. I do, however, expect my dogs to behave appropriately in the presence of other dogs.

It sounds like you have done a lot of correcting for what you don't want rather than teaching what you do want? Are there specifics that trigger these behaviors?
[notify]
Vienna

Little V

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 6:28pm PST 
i have no idea till it happens i never know what she will do with a new dog they sniff each other while shes got her tail under her legs and then she snaps and growls and then other times shes ok and submits
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 8:51pm PST 
Her tucked tail indicates fear, and when she feels really afraid she snaps, trying to protect herself. You need to stop forcing her to meet dogs when she's not comfortable and work on helping her feel more comfortable around other canines. One way you can do this is by taking her somewhere she can observe other dogs but doesn't need to meet them, such as the outside of a dog park. Bring some treats and when she sees another dog, reward her. Just work on getting her really comfortable with observing other dogs. Watch for signs of stress (lip-licking, tucked tail, yawning or taking the treat hard instead of gently) and move her farther away until she relaxes again.
A class for fearful dogs (not a regular puppy class) would really help her.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 10:07pm PST 
I noticed on your page, you say she was the only dog in her litter.

I've heard that can have a negative impact on their socialization with other dogs .. .. but I'm no expert .. .. Maybe Asher or someone else knows more about that.
[notify]
Vienna

Little V

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 10:28pm PST 
So stand on the outside/gate of a dog park with her and let her observe other dogs and if hes growls/snaps tell her wrong and leave it and if she doesnt reward her
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3