GO!

returning to breeder

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Tonka

Occupy Dog St.

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 4:42pm PST 
we recently acquired a 4 month old german shepherd pup, and decided to return her to the breeder. We found out that she was attacked by a neighbor dog at 8 weeks old and had also suffered a UTI for who knows how long.

Needless to say, we weren't aware of either problem when we brought her home. Within a couple of days I knew something wasnt right. She was VERY scared of other dogs and peed about 20 times a day. Knowing that the likelyhood of developing fear aggression was HUGE, we decided to return her to the breeder instead of putting her down.
AHGH
IT's sooo frustrating! The breeder has NO IDEA why her actions have effected this dog for the rest of her life, and now I feel strange about putting the dog back into her care.

I guess this is more of a vent than anything. Have any of you ever purchased a dog that was already "damaged" before they ever got a real chance in life?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 5:51pm PST 
I personally would not have returned the pup. To me these issues aren't big enough to warrant a return. There are no guarantees she would have fear issues for the rest of her life, and a UTI is treatable.

If the dog was to be a service dog I would return it, but just for a pet, or even a sport dog, I would keep for issues of that nature.

Putting her down would have never crossed my mind, ever. The only time.I would ever, ever consider euthing is if ny dog attacked me, and by attack a I mean tried to maul. I could never put a dog down for fear of other dogs. I don't know many here that would, honestly.

Just my opinion.

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 5:55pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:14pm PST 
I'm sorry, I tend to agree with Jackson. The only deal breakers I would have with a dog would be outright aggression against me or another creature in the house. Peeing and fear are two things that can certainly be worked with, they just take time. Maybe you could give the dawg another chance?
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:20pm PST 
I'm a little appalled that you would have considered euthanasia for a UTI and fear of dogs after being attacked. There's NO guarantee that she would have beccame fear AGGRESSIVE instead of just fearful.

Both were issues that were easily worked through, especially at her age, especially the UTI.

I would not have returned her for either. Although I would question how she got attacked in the care of her breeder by another dog, and am wondering if the breeder disclosed this information to you prior to her going to you or if you simply assumed that was the case.

The UTI is a health issue that can pop up in any dog at any stage in life and SHOULD NOT be a reason for euthanasia. And fear? Seriously? There's many people out there who would gladly try to help her through that fear to live a comfortable life.
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:26pm PST 
I guess I don't make the connection between a one time event with a baby puppy and the development of fear aggression. A dogs genetic background is going to have more effect on their temperament than getting frightened as a puppy. Proper socialization can fix much worse issues and uti's only need some antibiotics for a week or so. Many female puppies have one or more uti's during puppyhood.
Certainly not a decision I would make, especially if I were concerned about her care with her breeder.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:45pm PST 
I wouldnt have returned the pup either. I would have worked through the problems especially if the puppy was attacked by the neighbors dog in the breeders care. Accidents do happen but these are not reasons to return a puppy. These issues can be worked through!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 9:03pm PST 
Those two issues were very fixable. To even think about putting a dog down for those issues is appalling to me.
[notify]
Riku (Forever Missed)

Heart of Gold

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 9:36pm PST 
This post to me is ridiculous. I took Riku in at four years old and she was severely "damaged". Terrified of people, displayed a decent amount of fear aggression, was terrified of other dogs to the point of snarling, would shy away from anyone's hand, etc.

It took a lot of effort and time, but she became a confident dog. Unafraid of other dogs, and highly tolerant of strangers, even though she never truly enjoyed being petted by them. She would faithfully tolerate it and never showed any aggression. Her fear of other dogs was eventually entirely non-existent. She was attacked multiple times by dogs in her previous home and was abused by her previous owner.

Considering euthanasia and going so far as to return the poor dog was uncalled for. Just for some fear of other dogs and a UTI? Correcting fear of other dogs is simple with positive reinforcement and patience, and a UTI is one of the most easily treated ailments a dog can have. There was NO guarantee the dog would have even developed fear aggression. Especially with some simple positive conditioning.

I understand being frustrated that the breeder would sell a dog with a UTI, but it was your responsibility to choose a more reputable breeder.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 4:24am PST 
I agree with the other posters. What kind of breeder did you get her from if they didn't notice they had a sick pup? I definitely would NOT have returned her to that breeder. cry
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 4:31am PST 
A puppy showing fear of other, strange adult dogs seems pretty normal to me, as long as said pup recovers and eventually starts being curious. Just saying. thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9