GO!

Suddenly agressive with mother in law

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 4:28am PST 
You said she got the lyme vaccine, and then the behavior started? That actually seems suspect to me, especially considering dogs with tick-borne illnesses often show aggression as one of the first signs. I would consider whether or not she may have had a vaccine reaction.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 6:35am PST 
Good point Bam^2
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 8:22am PST 
Oh, definitely. There is no direct proof that vaccines can bring on aggressive behaviors, but I have seen far too many examples to ignore it as a possibility. My guess is that it is not an area vets schools are really keen to explore seeing as it could force a change in some protocols.

Agree with Chzarka 100%. CBC, Thyroid. SNAP. The whole nine yards. This is creepy, weird behavior and the stalking concerns me.
[notify]

Bella

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:55am PST 
Thanks for your replies. I didn't realize that vaccine can cause such aggression, so we will be taking her back to the vet.

To add another layer, we left her with my step-mother in law (different person than my MIL) for an entire day on Saturday. We let her know what was going on, but she insisted she would be fine and that we shouldn't kennel her or make a different plan. They were fine. No aggression, so odd behavior. I'm starting to wonder if it is my MIL's size (she is a big person), if something happened, or just the environment at my MIL's. But we'll do the vet check up to be sure.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 10:16pm PST 
I agree with Czarka. You should mention that you suspect your dog may be having some thyroid problems as he seems to be getting aggressive for no reason at all. Bringing a dog to the vet may be the first step to identify what could have set off the behavior, but you really do have to tell the vet what you suspect it to be too.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 9:48am PST 
When we called our vet to make an appointment, they weren't very helpful. Both the receptionist and tech we talked to (they don't put the vet on the phone... very frustrating) did not share our concerns about vaccine reactions, thyroid issues, or anything else for that matter. We explained that she has become an anxious, protective, aggressive, and scared dog pretty inexplicably. The office is blaming the "stress of the holidays" but I don't think that's it. They wouldn't make an appointment or do any blood work for "another few weeks" as she is sure the holidays are to blame. We asked about a physical exam and they mentioned how she just had one and she was checked very carefully... very frustrating.

I'm agreeing with you all about a possible vaccine reaction. After doing my research and reading many, many other dog owner posts, I think this is a result of lyme vaccine. From what I've read, most vets won't acknowledge this for liability concerns. I also read that dogs who are reported to spend a lot of time outside and are on the edge of a weight class (ours is 50-55 pounds) are often given a higher dose than necessary. So it is possible she was over-vaccinated, as she is for everything, as she falls in the 50 pound plus category and then gets the same dosage as a dog twice her size.

We're concerned and frustrated. How long do vaccine reactions last? Is there treatment? We won't get anything out of our vet for another week, so I'm trying to be prepared to ask for exactly what we want and need when we can get in there.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 9:52am PST

[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:26am PST 
You might look for a homeopathic vet in your area if you suspect a vaccine reaction. Otherwise... I'm not sure what else much can be done other than no longer vaccinate for it frown
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2