GO!

Quirks....

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 3:20pm PST 
Something I wondered about was the licking, of course most dogs lick us to some degree but Callie is obsessed with when I'm wet, he'll march into the bathroom, marching is the true pibble walk, you feel the floor thunking before he gets there, but when I'm in the tub, shoulders, arms, face legs he MUST.LICK.AND LICK.AND LICK.AND LICK...get a towel around me and my wet legs get a complete second wash, as soon as I'm dry he wobbles off tolay with hubby
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 4:25am PST 
Cobain does the licking thing to me too when I'm wet. He pushes himself into the bathroom if I am taking a bath and waits for me to drip water on the edge.
If I take too long to do it, he will reach his head in and lick my shoulders shrug
Tasting the juices so he knows which seasoning to use when the dogs take over? laugh out loud

I'm reviving this because as Rigby gains more confidence, she gains new quirks.
Last year, when I would dry her off after being outside in the wet, she would urinate and become very upset - no matter how gentle.
Now with it warming up, I've got to towel her off again. She's now decided that toweling off is fun and as soon as I'm done she starts flying around the room picking up everything in her way and tossing it in the air.
Then she comes back for more.

I just find it interesting how many new behaviours she gains as her confidence levels go up smile
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:58pm PST 
Risa is quirky as well. smile

One of her weird things is that she will bring odd objects into a room and just leave them there. We recently moved and she found a little black conical thing in the basement (maybe a leg off of a piece of furniture?). She picked it up, brought it into the living room, and left it there. Ris will do the same thing with leaves or helicopters (the seed pods from maple trees). It's sort of funny to walk into the living room and see a random leaf in the middle of it.

She also paws things when she's excited or unsure. If we're training and she's not quite sure what to do, she will grab at something with her paw. It can be a table, a kennel, or a wall. Anything! She's just not sure what to do so she wraps her paw around something.

Risa also yawns and catches her upper lip slightly underneath her bottom teeth. I have been trying to get a photo of this for years but she always stops when I get the camera!
[notify]

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:06pm PST 
BOL Risa!
I'm wondering if Rig does the same dropping thing, I've found some weirdly placed objects over the past year thinking
I would LOVE to see a picture of the yawn, that would be such an amazing catch! (Love your main picture by the way, looks like fun!)

It's amazing how much individual personality dogs can have.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:30pm PST 
My dog wouldn't sit on faces as no one would be lying down when she's around, but when I do walk up to her and play with her, she'll turn her back on me and shove her butt at me. It's quite cute, actually.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 5:29am PST 
She also likes to rub on people. Sort of like a cat. And, if you rub right around her hip points near the base of her tail, she will rock her rear back and forth and lift her hind feet up and down almost like a little dance. If you really do it right, she'll get excited and throw herself on the floor and start rolling on her back. smile

She also gets zooomies anytime she's toweled off.

Ris also enjoys getting her thighs and knees rubbed. I'm not sure if this is an odd quirk or not since my foster dog enjoyed this as well. Then again, maybe I just had two really weird dogs!
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 6:55am PST 
Coby loves having the base of his tail scratched, he does the same thing!

I've never had a dog that got the zoomies after being toweled off before Rigby. Coby just continues about his day.

Last night I slept on the couch, and foolishly I placed a dog bed that we're getting rid of behind it earlier in the day.
Well Rigby slept on it last night, and when she felt it was time to get up, she jumped over the couch onto me eek Not a nice way to wake up!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2