GO!

Quirks....

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 5:01pm PST 
Before I start, I want to say that these behaviours don't really bother me...just out of curiosity looking for input.

Rigby loves attention and physical contact (both from people and other dogs).
If I sit on the opposite end of the couch as her, she will make the most bizarre series of movements to get over to me without actually standing up. She is very cuddly, which one it's own is not something I'm used to with my dogs laugh out loud

Behaviour 1:
She will cuddle right up into the curve of my neck acting very innocent. Then she will sort of lean back, pin her ears back, curl the lip a little and lean in to bite either my nose or glasses.
She's not aggressive with this nor does it hurt. More annoying than anything really.

I just find it odd, I've never had a dog that does this.

Behaviour 2:
She well...sits on faces. I've got countless shots of her just violating Cobain's head.
If someone lies on the floor, same thing.
She used to do that to me in the mornings while I was sleeping but very quickly learned that I was not impressed with the wake-up.

I have watched her watch behind her, and back up several times to ensure that she sits right on Coby's head.

It incorporates into her play style as well (A dog that actually play like a dog! Another thing I'm not used to LOL). She will walk up brushing the side of the dog she is interacting with and then promptly swings her rear into the face of the other dog shrug

And she LOVES intact males.

She's spayed shrug
Presumably never went through her first heat due to something with her nipples?

Just sort of strikes me as odd behaviours...anyone have any info?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 3:29am PST 
Jackson lays on faces too! When I lay down in the floor I swear he is trying to smother me! He rubs his neck all over like he's scenting or something and claws at my head too. I'm actually seriously afraid if I fainted he would kill me. silenced
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 10:57am PST 
laugh out loud BOL JT!
Now you've got me worried about fainting because Rigby would probably do the same!! silencedsilenced
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 11:40am PST 
I once watched a dog very carefully arrange two tennis balls so they were side-by-side, then equally carefully sit down squarely on top of them. All present were caught between being completely baffled and not really wanting to know anyway...

All my guys love intact dogs. Being speutered doesn't really make a difference... I mean, if someone took away your "bits," you'd still be interested in an attractive partner, right?
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 3:55pm PST 
lol! laugh out loud That sounds hilarious and scary at the same time. I sure wouldn't want dog butt in my face. My skin breaks out bad enough from getting licked!!

Nix is very, very picky with his women! haha~ His first love (first dog he's ever shown any kind of "special interest" in, if you know what I mean) was my friend's blue merle BC. She is intact, but she wasn't in heat or anywhere near it while we were visiting... in fact, this friend's other BC WAS in heat at the time, and yet Nix had zero interest in her. He only wanted the pretty blue merle. wink Since then he's only shown interest in 2 other females, both spayed. I wish I could hear his thoughts. It would be nifty to find out what exactly he finds attractive about the few girls that he decides to "fall in love with." Weird boy. laugh out loud

Edited by author Mon Dec 24, '12 4:03pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 5:43pm PST 
I know the nibbling, heard it called corn cobbing. With Sophie it's cute with Callie it smarts, we keep empty seltzer bottles around for him to chew when he gets like that...usually when he's getting a good back scratch
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 5:46am PST 
laugh out loud laugh out loud

Oh I think I know Rigby's type!!! big laugh

First dog she had special interest in was Coby, didn't think much of it, new house mate and such. He was the only neutered one.
Second was this beautiful Rough Collie, I swear the way this dog walked was as though he was saying "Yes, I know you love me", long coat swaying in the wind laugh out loud
Third was a ACD/BC mix
Fourth a Bearded Collie/ BC mix.

She likes her herding dogs, and who could blame her? wink

As for her mouthing, she does nibble, but this isn't really one of her nibbling instances. She sort of gears up, opens wide, and put my entire nose or glasses in her mouth. Like she's trying to eat my face shock
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 6:52am PST 
Ok, don't hate the messanger... The nibbling is originally part of wolf/dog breeding rituals. They nibble eachother's jaw line, ears and neck. That doesn't transfer well to humans, although I have had my ears nibbled plenty of times anyway... Usually it's forearms or around the waste line, simply because that's what they can reach when we're standing.

A lot of friendly gestures from dogs are derived from breeding ritual, actually. Obviously it doesn't mean things are going that direction, or even that they want things to go that direction. It is a very intimate gesture, though, at least for most dogs. Either you really love the person/dog/cat/etc that you're nibbling, or you've just noticed them and you need to convince them of your supreme awesomeness - because you're pretty sure they may be the most awesome new friend you've ever met.

Ember nibbles her well-established dog friends when they're done playing. Vance nibbled any dog he wanted to coax into playing with him.

All my dogs have had a very definite "type." Vance loved Greyhounds above all else, and any girl that with a bit of snark in her. As he got older he tired of the snark and switched over to boys. Usually small, playful males with a bit of snark. Ember loves Rotties, English Black Labs, generally young, sleek athletic males and small fuzzy males. Fox likes small fuzzy males and red males of any size.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 9:09am PST 
That makes a lot of sense actually.
With certain dogs Rigby plays in a very "face-nibbling" way. While other dogs it's just straight play.

I always fear Coby is going to get his eye taken out as she chews on his face so much silenced
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 11:36am PST 
That's very interesting! I can't especially recall Nix ever showing the nibbling behavior, but he does have this fixation with running his nose all over the ears of the pretty girl he's courting. laugh out loud He does it to Ava too, occasionally.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2