GO!

Off leash trust

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 6:31am PST 
Princesse is awesome off leashbig grin As a matter of fact, I stopped tying her when we are all outside in the yard. It's pointless anyway. If hubby gets out of her reach, she starts barking to be near him. When she is off leash, she just follows him. Not to mention, if she and Bunny are both tied, their tie outs inevitably get tangled, then Bunny takes off after some bird, and voila, flying Chihuahua red facesilenced
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 6:48am PST 
Tasha is completely trustworthy off leash, but I can't claim my training with her, it's her nature to stick close by. She will wander off a little ways to explore or investigate a noise or movement, but always checks to see where I'm at and comes bounding over if she sees me moving off. I'd say the farthest she got from me was right out of voice range, but still within sight, in order to greet one of my neighbors Beagle/Bassets that had followed us(at a distance)to the beach.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 7:44am PST 
I walk oll of mine off leash. Dubs is a natural heeler like your Moose. She will run after birds and stuff, but only if she feels safe. Samoa is actually much better at commands, though he walks about 10 feet or so away. But when I adopted him, based on his probable ancestry (BC or Aussie) I taught him some herding commands, though we have nothing to herd. He knows the "away down" and will go "outside" to push the other pups back towards me.

I found that the others became better the more practice at off leash I gave them. Even bird brain Cookie is somewhat reliable.
[notify]

Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 10:27am PST 
I remember the first time I let Chase off leash. She would've been nearly a year and a half (we got her at 10 months) and I was terrified. My pockets were stuffed with cut up hotdogs and cheese.
We were at a dog park near my friend's house and I figured it was now or never, and I let her off. I don't think she strayed more than 50 feet from me, constantly came back to where I was.
She still does it. If we're out hiking with friends she comes right up to me to make sure I'm still around, even though she has to hear me chattering. We have never really worked on a recall anywhere other than the backyard.
Her recall is pretty solid, one of the best of all the dogs I know. Unless there's deer, then all bets are off.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:31am PST 
I think with Sophie that being a natural velcro doggie just carried over to her being off leash. Like you say, as far as anywhere near cars I can't trust her little doggie brain cells to register that running across the road after that squirrel/stray cat/deer is a very bad idea. But if we're somewhere safe from cars she's excellent off leash. Same thing as your dog, if she finds doggie friends on the trail she'll stop and play...but I don't even have to call her, if she sees me walking forward she is automatically beside me again.

Callie on the other paw...we haven't had him very long but I can't feature him EVER being off leash in public. Different personality, he's devoted to me and follows me just like Sophie, but he has shown human stranger aggression...so for everyone's own good he has a secure harness when he's outside. Every dog is different
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 10:05am PST 
Kalisi's puppyhood was pretty chill, we kept the door to our unfenced front porch propped open at all times and didn't walk her with a leash for about about a month, in various environments, because she was still too tentative to wander far. I still take every chance to train, and most of our walks are off leash unless we're near sheep, cattle, or it's hunting season. She waits for cars to pass, and waits for me to put her leash on if she meets someone on the road, and in crowded places she offers heel.
I continually reinforce her for sticking close, both off and on leash, and eventually I intend to slap a "dont roam" command on. She's fairly trustworthy...for now.. big grin
A lot of it is definitely in her breed, but it's nice to see when we're 15 people walking 10 off leash dogs and she keeps running back and forth to check on me.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 5:17pm PST 
I think it comes with time, training, and breed. Risa is a sighthound cross. . .the sort you would probably never let off lead. But I do.

She has incredible prey drive but it is controlled. I have had her off leash around squirrels and she will stalk them but not give chase unless I release her to do so. Ris also trusts me and wants to know where I am at all times. So, if she ranges too far or cannot see me, she comes looking for me! THAT took a lot of time, given her history. She's still relatively independent and I'm cautious about when I let her off leash. But she's relatively trustworthy off lead.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3