GO!

Problems with intact males after neuter? Or just this dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 3:41pm PST 
Nare, most people never know that Nix is intact. His fur hides every detail, so when their dog goes nuts after getting a whiff, they're often as baffled as I am (I never tell anyone he's intact ...in fact I usually don't say anything at all. I can remember only 1 person in the history of Nix who's asked "Is he intact? My dog hates intact males." to which I did answer "yeah, he is" but like I said it's not something I ever bring up, myself, because people would just take that as an excuse to blame Nix and say he's the problem here. Personally I do think it's gotta have something to do with it though... I can't imagine it's just a coincidence that Nix is unpopular with 90% of neutered males we ever meet. It's awfully strange that we've never, ever had an issue with other intact males. thinking

Anyways, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. smile
I think that's the best thing to do, Daddy. Just separate the dogs when things start getting heated to the point where you suspect there might be a scuffle. A lot of dogs don't care for rowdy puppies, so it sounds like Daddy was just trying to tell the puppy to calm down. Testosterone fights shouldn't be happening at only 6 months, like Nare said.

Edited by author Mon Dec 24, '12 3:44pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2