GO!

HELP ME PLEASE! (Houstan we have a jumper)

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Titan

Late Christmas- Baby

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 9:56am PST 
I'm looking for some advice to help teach my now 11 month old pup not to jump on me when we go to put on the leash for walks or when I come to the door. I'm five months long with a baby and I could really use the advice. we have tried EVERYTHING. from exta play time to extra walks to using cans as a rattle to the treat and sit method and to no avail he continues to jump like Sonic the Hedgehog ( a video game character) in a video game level. I'd like for methods to stay positive and away from Ceasr Millan methods as those are harsh. I've been trying the other methods and I'm at the point that I'm at your mercy on ways to help this problem go away. I understand it won't be overnight but I'd like some advice since you guys seem to give good advice. So please pretty please throw this fur mamma a bone so her baby dun drive her nuts with jumping.....please?
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 10:40am PST 
First, you need to desensitize to the leash. The leash should no longer be the cue that walks are coming AND should be the cue to offer an appropriate behavior (ie sit).

I would start with e NEW leash stored at a NEW location (because you will need to continue to use the old leash from the old location for walks while you work through the new behavior).

Get out new leash. Walk around with it. Wait for calm behavior. Click. Treat. put away the leash. Repeat until your dog no longer gets revved up up seeing the leash.

Next, add a sit. So get out leash, wait for sit (you may have to cue it the first few times), click, treat, put leash away.

When your dog starts to sit as soon as you get out the leash, you need to start working on attaching the leash. You may have to break this down into small steps (ie, touch collar with other hand, if dog stays sitting click, treat, touch collar/reach with leash, touch collar with one free hand and leash in other, snap on leash and remove, snap on leash and go for a walk).

If at any time the crazt behavior starts again, simply put away the leash and walk away.
[notify]
Jagger- **ADOPTED**

Ewok/Wookiee- Cross

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 6:02am PST 
When I first brought Jagger into the home, he was like a Mexican jumping bean. He was all over me and overflowing with excitement. On top of that, he simply did not know what to do with himself. I had dealt with jumpers before; the dog I was helping to train become a service dog was a jumper too. With her, I simply turned and presented my back to her when she jumped up. Once her paws were on the floor, I returned my attention to her. If she leaped at me again, I turned away again. Four on the floor = attention from me. Jumping did not get her what she wanted.

Jagger, of course, was a bit more out of control with his jumping than she was. He also has killer ups and can jump high enough that his head is level with mine! Still, I employed a similar method. If he jumped on me, I ignored him completely. I just stood still as a statue no matter what he did. Sometimes, it took several minutes before he was calm enough for me to move. And then it often started him going again so I went back to playing statue. This method was VERY effective. Within less than a week, his crazy jumping all over me had decreased by more than half. After almost 2 months staying with me, his jumping is almost non-existent. He still does it on occasion but, more often than not, he catches himself before he makes contact with me.

The biggest key to using this method is PATIENCE. That, and wearing clothes you don't care about just in case. wink
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 6:47am PST 
Take everyones advice and ignore him.
Because, honestly.. If you shook treats in my face and played with me when I jumped on you.. I'd jump on you more! Your reaction (whether positive or negative) is exciting and full of energy!

Patience and consistency is the key.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 4:09pm PST 
Ignore, ignore, ignore. I don't touch jumping dogs, and 4 on the floor is actually a command in this house. As soon as feet come off the floor walk away. My mom taught her Wheatons to go get a toy as soon as she came in to prevent the 'Wheaton Greetin'. I am not that nice. I have dogs that weigh in at 60-90 lbs. If the leash is a trigger then the leash goes everywhere you go. If the door is a trigger then I would come in and go out repeatedly until it's boring. Either way consistancy is key.
[notify]