GO!

Tug It training toy

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 11:40am PST 
Anyone have experience with this particular toy or something like it? For those of you not familiar, here is what I am talking about: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product _id=1669

Noah likes to play tug at certain times, mostly when he's excited and worked up but it seems to fade relatively quickly. Basically I guess I'm looking for a little advice in building his toy drive. I've gotten some good advice in the past that has definitely helped (only play with toys with me, build the value for one specific toy by hiding it and taking it out, etc) but I would like for him to go for toys a bit more than he does. I'm sure there's something wrong with my approach so any help would be appreciated.

Do some dogs just not have it the way others do?

Also, I have a secondary question: can anyone recommend durable squeaky toys that are not overly bulky? I love the Tuffie Toys but they're a bit too big to fit into my pocket while I'm running around the agility field. All the small ones I try seem to be destroyed after one training session. I'd love to be able to just use a rope toy or something but it seems like Noah really only gets going for the squeaky toys.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:18pm PST 
Noah, you can find tug toys that have a pocket where you can put in a replaceable squeaker (or food).

I'm personally not so keen on the toy you linked to, as I wouldn't want the dog to break off from tugging to get the food that is coming through the mesh...

If you are wanting to reward with food directly from the tug toy, then I would consider these options:
Tug-n-Treat toy
Tugaway Tuff Pouch

Here is some great info on building up your dog's prey drive:
Playing with Prey Drive
[notify]