GO!

Is this intelligent, or just habit?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 3:07am PST 
my vote is smart

Dylan comes in the bathroom at night ,just before bed to see if my work uniform is hanging on the shower door. if it is, he stomps up the stairs, he knows tomorrow is a work day.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 7:34am PST 
Gunther knows the sight of my scrubs in the morning. The second I have them on, he goes and sulks in his crate until I leave. At the same time in the mornings if I don't have to work, he's happy as a lark. laugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 3:39pm PST 
Years ago I worked in a private kennel and lived with the owners. We all smoked (it was years ago!), and the dogs (3 GSD's, my Labrador, and an IWS) would lie calmly under the table while we ate dinner. The minute a cigarette was lit they were all over us, expecting their "leftovers". I called it smart!
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 4:11pm PST 
Dylan knows the "ring" on my cell phone that is hubby`s
he will go sit at the kitchen window, his chin on the sill watching the drive way waiting for his daddy to come home.

its a good thing if he calls during the day its on the work phone so it doesnt have that ring, or Dylan would have a long day
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 7:09am PST 
I guess the question was vague. Smart is what I thought to. A process of putting things together. I may not be so smart as I never noticed this behavior before, but it was distinct. I leaned over the sink, and they (especially Samoa) plainly gave up on getting any more scraps and went back to their corners.
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 7:25am PST 
Dogs are very smart when it comes to picking up our habits. My dogs have learned that when the alarm on my cell goes off in the morning it means I am going to get up and that means they get breakfast. Molly used to pace around for almosst an hour before dinner time waiting to get fed. Any time I'd move, she'd run to the kitchen. I finally figured out that if I set my phone alarm to go off at feeding time, she'd relax and just wait for the alarm. It also works on the weekend because I don't set my alarm for the morning and they will let me sleep in (a little bit).laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2