GO!

Keeping Your Pets Safe During The Holidays

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 7:55am PST 
How will you be keeping your furry, scaley, feathered friends safe during the holidays this year?

Kennel rotation for the dogs to give them breaks on my end(especially as my mothers Rottweiler will be coming and him and Charlie have to be on rotation anyway).

Snake and rabbits in my bedroom to prevent any children from harassing them through Christmas. There is nothing quite like little kids poking and prodding at your pets to irritate them or frighten them and with how many children will be here this Christmas, my only real option is to put my pets where no children are allowed - my bedroom!

Also monitoring what others try to feed my dogs - especially with how many things can harm them during the Christmas season, and keeping proper supervision on the pets while food is out. Luckily, my family usually ASKS before giving my pets anything if they're unsure of whether or not it's safe and only ever give in tiny amounts what they have already learned to be allowed.

Giving a clear on any gifts others want to give my pets - what treats, chews, etc. Last year, my aunt bought my dog these tiny little red and white bone shaped rawhides that were very clearly dyed. Not only do I not feed rawhides on principle alone, but the fact they were dyed through me for a curve too, and he did not get them. I believe she got them from the dollar store, however, so while her intentions were good, I pointed out the hazards of such chews. Hopefully nobody tries to get my dogs anything like that again. RMB's galore are allowed though, as are some cookies. If I'm really lucky, my family will leave it up to me and my fiance to get my dogs gifts instead.

Keeping close supervision on small children - no matter their age, if they're around dogs, rabbits, doesn't matter. They will be closely supervised with all animals, as I do not want my pets stressing out, nor do I want any children getting bitten, whether provoked or not by any of the animals.

Luckily, my dogs are very tolerant and even very adoring of children, and LOVE having guests over!

So Dogsters, what are you doing this year to keep your pets safe, healthy and stress-free?
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:11pm PST 
I want to be able to help at my cousin's restaurant, and mom may watch Smokey. I'm trying to make a list of things I need to tell her. I know I need to stress that he needs to be thoroughly physically restrained if a door will be open, because he will bolt straight for the road if the door is open a crack. Also need to go over how to handle visitors, so there isn't a growling, snarling little dog trying to chase people off. I'm sure there's more. I should probably take a squeaky ball or something that will offer some peace and quiet if she gets tired of being incessantly licked.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:30pm PST 
Ours have free rein of the house like normal but will be in the bedroom for the actual dinner...we are squeezing in another table to hold everyone. There will not be much floor space left. By then, Harley will need a break anyways.

If people give them gifts of treats that they can not have...I accept them gracefully still and then donate them to others that can use them.
[notify]

Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 11:51am PST 
Just want to add one other safety bulletin:

Several years ago my boy Pete got hold of a travel pillow I had and tore it up. It was one of those with the teensy tiny styrofoam balls in it to make is squishy....do you know the kind? Anyway...HUGE MESS. But the bigger issue is that he inhaled those teensy tiny balls and had to have emergency vet visit from a bronchoscopy to have his lungs cleaned out. Those a danger to dogs and very young children. Be careful!

Edited by author Sat Dec 22, '12 11:56am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 3:06am PST 
Me and JT are going on a road trip. I'll have to harness him up tight for safety. If my nieces bring their new Am Cocker pup, I'll have to make sure he doesn't squish him. Other than that it's business as usual.
[notify]