GO!

taking a stick for a walk?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 4:36am PST 
Every day when we leave for our walk, Dreamy and Sparkles are wound and excited of course and continue to be so for the first 5 to 10 mins. Then, Sparkles will find a stick to carry (or pinecone lol) From that point on, she calms down and walks beside me or even trails along behind ( I think it bugs her if she bumps the stick off my legs lol). She doesn't play with it or clench it hard in her teeth, just carries it along for the rest of the walk (we walk a mile and a half). Once we get home, I tell her to drop it, and she does willingly before going in the house. Does anybody else do this? What is the point?
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 5:36am PST 
Cobain does this a lot at our local dog park.

I think to him it's somewhat of a calming device. He typically picks up a stick when we approach the field where many people stand around and let their dogs play (we typically stick to the forest).

Without the stick, he seems to get a very intense need to herd all of the rambunctiously playing dogs.
When he has the stick, he stays by my side and is calm.

If it's a busy day, from that point on, he will carry the stick until I leash him up and we go home. I don't even have to tell him to drop it anymore, he automatically does at the bridge to the exit shrug

Maybe Sparkles is using it the same way. If the being outside on the walk is too exciting for her and she knows that you would like her to walk nicely, the stick may help her to calm down.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 10:38am PST 
Maybe that's it. I'm just glad she's not the only one that does something like that lol
[notify]

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 10:40am PST 
Maybe that's it. I'm just glad she's not the only one that does something like that lol
[notify]
Bhaira

Belly Rub! Belly- Rub!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 9:45am PST 
Mine does thoo. I've also noticed that she's much less likely to jump on people if she has a stick in her mouth.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 12:40pm PST 
Missy is OBSESSED with sticks so she enjoys finding and carrying them home, or at least until we reach the end of our walk where i often have to make her drop them because they're just to big. She often walks a good mile or two with what can only be described as a log or branch in her mouth laugh out loud

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3
[notify]