GO!

Aggression AFTER neuter

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 4:28pm PST 
Swinging in to answer your question Gus, but females can make good patrol dogs. The breeder i'm interested has their female fully trained as a patrol dog in the military programme. But, i think males tend to be more commanding in presence and probably in some areas easier to work with.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 4:44pm PST 
Just to pop in here about "teenage" dogs and "fear periods": Suddenly, out of nowhere, Gunther has become petrified of his food dish. The same dish he's been using for almost two years now. All of a sudden, he became so frightened of it that I had to feed him from a plate. My Husband and I are always in the room when he eats, and nothing odd happened with the dish... It was the same food, everything. When it was put onto the plate, he ate it like normal. Kind of cooky.. laugh out loud He's also unaltered.. So I'm assuming no change in his testosterone levels?

Maybe Baron just slipped into a new stage of thought process? Then the misguided training technique could have exacerbated it, sure.. But I think this is a problem Baron's owner can fix with some consistency and positive reinforcement. I don't really think where the training methods were acquired from really matters. All that matters is that this issue is handled correctly from this point out!
[notify]
Charlie- Brown Cocoa- Puffs

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 6:45am PST 
so heres the huge problem with the Cesar "dominance" mumbo jumbo." dominance training doesn't work and can cause way more issues. however, using pack structure does. wich is completely different. people who use dominance training use wolves as their reason for dominance training. first you gotta understand wolves wich ceasar and about 90 percent of humans don't. face it, we werent lucky enough to be born as wolves. forcing him on his back definately created some problems. plus, most likely the crazy fear imprinting stages of GSD's. luckily dogs are pretty adaptable. so with help from a trainer or behaviorist your dog should turn around just fine
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 2:21pm PST 
What Cesar does really is nothing new. Be it the alpha roll (which The Monks of New Skeete have disavowed), dominance downs or even the "pack walks", it all originated with the monks and has been around LONG before Cesar came on the scene. Cesar used to even have an article on his site mentioning how much The Monks influenced his training and there is very little difference between the two.

As to their abilities, well, here is their head trainer, Brother Christopher, with a dog on graduation day. Very sloppy training, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_yjVBVNqkg
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 3:12pm PST 
Asher, that reminds me of the old "pop and jerk". How many times did he stop her to make sure the collar was up behind the jaw? If that is graduation it IS pretty darn scary cuz I see that dog reverting before it even gets home, especially with all the mixed messages they BOTH were giving it!
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 1:42pm PST 
That was one extremely unimpressive video... Wow. That was Graduation Day?? The dog barely seemed to understand what was being asked of it. Those results looked more like after a few days of training.

Edited by author Tue Dec 25, '12 1:43pm PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 7:52am PST 
That was Brother Christopher, the Head Trainer for the Monks of New Skeete. I have also watched their short lived TV show, Divine Canine, which shows similar training. The faults I find in this style of training are numerous. Cesar adopted much of their training methods (and he has stated that in the past in an article on his own website), including the Dominance Down, which was originally theirs (and was taught to me YEARS before Cesar was on TV).

These are old school, outdated methods and the OP would do best to leave tham behind.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 9:11pm PST 
That video was appalling.

Why the lead?? A well trained dog does not need one. Can't they train a dog without a chain?

Why put the dog in the side sit position position before the heel? And what was with that heel?! He was all over the place and was not focusing on either handler.

The stay was laugh worthy.

I'm embarrassed after watching that. Really. The monks of new skete don't deserve the popularity they have. That was just ... bad.

Yet people are going on about how great they are in the comments ... gee, they must have low expectations.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 12:03am PST 
@Tiller 'Some people, however, swear by female workers.'

I would be one of those people given that I own a highly successful(now retired) female PPD/Patrol dog. laugh out loud. My first dog was an unneutered patrol dog, second was a neutered male and Sabs worked both before and after her spay. All were excellent partners however she added that special something that the boys just didn't have. For those of you who suspect we do something different then police or military dogs you are correct. My dogs don't get to specialize they need to learn it all. They don't get the benefit of cleared buildings to search, they need to discern. And I need to call in reinforcements when things go south, she's all I've got. We are most often first on scene and I don't carry a gun.
To the OP, I have no experience with this really but I can tell you that before her spay Sabi was only aggressive with males and only when in heat, after her spay she became decidely anti social and she will fight if random dogs get in her space but she is fine with any dog I bring into the house. Since she was spayed at 3 years old I think we can rule out juvenile issues in her case. Similarly a friends ACD was neutered at 6 years of age for health reasons and became so dog aggressive he had to be muzzled when around them and was subsequently retired from competition.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4