GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 8 of 19: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 9:02pm PST 
I always suspect that media doesn't get animal stories and if they involve police officers or the such, the police is always in the wrong. News media is guilty of making complex issues into black and white when they are not. Most reports I heard or saw points to the dog being in the wrong. I believe its the owners responsibility to do research in the area you are hiking or taking your dogs to.

Off Topic, I do wonder if you have certain dog breeds if there is a specific horse you should own. I.e. is there an English Springer Spaniel type horse breed.

Twister, we have similar taste in horses! I love Friesians and Arabians. I also like... er love Morgans and Thoroughbreds.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 11:24pm PST 
I don't think specific breeds of horse go with specific breeds of dog, so much as some breeds of dogs are considered more likely to do well with horses in a general way.

I've always read that Border Terriers are especially good with horses of the terriers . . .. not exactly sure why or if that's true, but always found it intriguing . .

I wonder if Tiller would agree with my perception that horses even for their recognized breed traits haven't been nearly as specialized for single jobs or bred to be any where near so physically diverse as dogs . . . .. i.e., horses because they have typically been expected to be able to "work" in some capacity are more generalist. Breeds of horse do have their tendency toward talents, but I don't feel like they've been honed quite as singularly as dogs have been.

Perhaps that's a long way of saying I would frankly expect any breed of horse raised sensibly around dogs to have no problem with dogs in general. Whereas some specific breeds of dogs may have traits that would lean toward being trouble for horses vs. some breeds being highly easy going with horses. . . .
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 2:20am PST 
Nooooo.....that's where dog breeds are so fascinating. With horses, there is the Arabian and then everything else. I guess in parts you can say draft horses, too, for they are uncommonly big and also incredibly stable and even done right. But the Arabian has all these exquisitely extreme structural points. Certainly the head is its fame, but they can have fewer ribs than other breeds, which of course makes for more room for those hearts and lungs, and the bone is fine but unusually dense, making them sort of untouchable when it comes to endurance. So they are sort of extraordinary....certainly the Bedouins, amongst all other breeders of any other animal....are the geniuses. I don't really think a dog has quite THAT equivalent. And of course the blood is exceptionally old but exceptionally pure. Their books have been closed forever wink And they get away with a lot tighter inbreeding there.

Dog breeds vary a great deal in type, but a lot more in function. My old vet actually devoted his life to showing American Saddlebreds in dressage. Not what they were meant for, but he liked their flash and carriage. He retired to devote the rest of his life to that premise. Most horses can do what other horses can. Maybe not as WELL, but there is little one horse breed can do that another would be incapable of. GSDs can do a lot, but it's not like you see them as hunting dogs wink Dobermans would be even more useless as a general rule. Very few breeds have across the board ability. Usually most the farm dogs. Kerry Blues are the most I know. They can herd, hunt, guard. But it's a terrifically different premise. Horses don't have the targeted drive balances that dogs do.
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 4:53am PST 
the one ,I guess, outstanding feature my little arabian had, was her strong sence of humor.the other breeds I have known,appys,drafts, quarter,walkers,lack that.never knew a TB.
and as much as I love the shetland dog, the ponies are mean.

as far as a bad combo of dog, horse.I prolly would not suggest a teacup(gross) chi with any draft horse. unless the chi was riding it. wink
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 5:17am PST 
Shetland ponies are JERKS. I remember very vividly one by the name of 'Midnight Streak' (oh ho ho, and what a name) ramming me into a low hanging branch when me and my friend were playing at warriors when I was 15. I got it up to a canter and the sod gunned for the oak tree. Needless to say, he kept going, but I didn't. My wooden sword poked me hideously.

Ah, childhood memories of ponies! laugh out loud
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 7:08am PST 
"the one ,I guess, outstanding feature my little arabian had, was her strong sence of humor"

Mine too! Sometimes horse people will say your horse has "a lot of personality" which they mean as a compliment to say that he's charming and engaging with people, but to me it always sounded like a trivializing way to put it--- they ALL have a personality, you can't have more or less of one!laugh out loud

I once saw my horse trick an appy mare off her pile of hay . .. he, a Quarter horse gelding and Appy mare were turned out in an arena with each a separate pile of hay. The two geldings didn't mind sharing when one finished first, but of course, NOBODY but NOBODY would dare to approach the mare when she was still leisurely munching away and their piles were out.

My boy spooked . . . all three ran to the opposite end of the arena from where the "wolf" was spotted . . .. while the mare and quarter horse were still snorting at the other end trying to figure out what happened, my boy casually sauntered over to the mare's abandoned hay and helped himself. Some might say he spotted an opportunity, but I don't doubt it was a completely premeditated move! laugh out loud
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 9:14am PST 
I gave my megan an ear of corn, she cleaned all the kernels off, picked it up and handed it back to me."more please"
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 12:40pm PST 
And guess what I saw just a little bit ago as I drove away from Crissy Field? You guessed it....the mounted patrol. I'm not sure if they were going to be going to the actual beach.

That was Moose's very first sight of a horse and I have to say his eyes bugged out of his head. The horse passed right in front of my car so as Moose sat in the front seat he got a good close look at the horse as it walked by. Moose hopped to the back of the SUV to follow it as long as he could. He was riveted.

So, like I said in my previous post, the mounted patrol is not some phantom patrol, it's a some what common sight.

Those people who posted are a bunch of idiots, frankly.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 2:44pm PST 
Wow, Gizzarelli actually has a link to this statement from the police on his "please save Charlie" FB page. Graphic photos of the horse's wounds and an aerial map of the distances travelled . . . . shock

It doesn't help his case, but maybe he's trying to say it's all exaggeration and lies . . .. It's kind of ill the way Charlie's owner tells the story on his page, "my puppy, being a puppy went to sniff the horse and an "encounter" ensued . . .." as if what, the horse pushed him first? Ugh, what a mook!

statement released about the attack by SF police

Moose, how did you manage to restrain yourself upon seeing a horse the first time ? eek
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 1:39pm PST 
Fantastic, another article in the mag about poor Charlie. Not going to be giving them anymore hits on the web by looking at it, or adding comments, or reading them. Where is the rolling eyes emoticon?
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 19: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19