GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 6 of 19: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:16pm PST 
I read, back in October, that the guy was to get his dog back with the stipulation of it never to be off leash. Ever. Obviously I was wrong.

Reading some of the posts from that article is infuriating. To say that the horse had no right to be there is absolutely idiotic.
Mounted police are in that area and in other recreational park areas in S.F. on a semi-regular basis. Unless you're in that area regularly, you may not ever see them, but they're part of S.F park patrol.

Crissy Field is a huge stretch of beach, field and marsh area that stretchs all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge. This is the beach Moose is at every Saturday and Sunday. I expect to see a horse at some point in my journeys there.

A few years ago there was another attack of a police horse by a dog in Golden Gate Park. GGP is not an off leash area, but this guys dog was not leashed, saw the horse and went for it. Luckily the injuries to the horse were not severe. I don't know what breed the dog was.
This is obviously an isssue for the mounted patrol in S.F.

The ignorance people show in their postings is amazing. The horse got tore up by this dog. To lay blame on the horse and its rider is stunning.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 7:00pm PST 
You know the area Moose, I'm getting the impression this is pretty spread out and much more than just dog owners are in the area . . . . . . . who do you commonly see--any joggers? cyclists? strollers?

The "ragers" keep going on like the horse pranced willy-nilly into the middle of a dog party.

As usual, Tiller, so well said! way to go
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:17pm PST 
We hike every day in an area where we could run into horses at any time so since my dogs are very young I started with leashing them up every time we would see a horse coming and move them to the side, put them in a sit and treat them, praise them and let the horse come up to visit (of course asking the rider if they could meet and greet) most riders are more than happy to help and most horses have been awesome. We have even ran into riders who have asked us if they could bring their horses closer as they were trying to get their horses used to dogs. Mitchell pretty much just sees a horse and will go to the side of the trail and sit, Madison being quite a bit younger and we are still working on her reliable recall still needs to be encouraged to move off the trail and give the horses right of way, she does not get excited but she does like to visit with them. We will get there and I welcome all interactions with horses, I love the way my dogs and the horses communicate. One horse came up and started nuzzleing Mitchell, licked his ears and then the rider pulled his head up as she told me that he likes to nuzzle her dogs and then chews on their ears alittle too hard. Too funny. Mitchell seemed to like it. He sees that horse quite often and knows that the horse is going to "kiss" him.
Definately a work in progress for both dog and owner when it comes to other animals.
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:35pm PST 
There is a walking/biking path that runs the whole length of the beach and field area. You've got to cross this path to get to the beach. It abutts the beach and there is no way to take your dog from your car to the beach without having to dodge these joggers. There are people CONSTANTLY running, roller blading,some biking and lots of strollers.
And there are kite surfers that surf very near the beach. Many times they'll launch right there and they inflate their kites on the beach. So you have this huge thing flying up above everyone or scooting along the beach as the surfers get ready to launch. Someone was doing this a few weeks ago. Luckily none of the dogs were bothered by it, but I could see how a dog would freak at it. Of course, my dog almost got himself tangled up in the ropes while it lay on the beach.

Even if the horse did prance on the beach willy nilly, it's a national park that is patrolled by mounted police, that's what horses do. They walk on the beach.
How in h*** is a horse supposed to walk on a beach? Dear dog these people are freaking idiots.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 12:05pm PST 
I was googling for more info about the guy himself . . .. and he has a page with his cause for Charlie . . .. about all the good things he's done and how he has no record of animal abuse of any kind . . . . .

But this last statement kind of gave me the willies . . ..

Charlie is Davids' second AmStaff. Saraya was his female terrier and he owned her for 13 years until she was too old to eat. David had her put to sleep at Animal Control and made a small donation.

Besides hearing that he had been arrested before for elder abuse (charges dropped) and Charlie was taken into Animal Control at that time, which was June, 2 months before the horse incident . . .. it was at the point, that the city made him agree to neuter Charlie . . . . . so that already added to the picture of irresponsibility but . ..

What does that mean "too old to eat"? I mean who would put it like that . .. And after 13 years he doesn't have a trusted vet he sees for putting his best friend to rest? Animal control?

I don't want to jump to conclusions, maybe he was hard on his luck, but it doesn't give a warm feeling of what a tender soul he is. . . . like he seems to think! eek
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 12:51pm PST 
I've been reading that stuff too, Gus. Apparently he was dead set against the neuter when he got out of the pokey and apparently the dog lunged at the ACO when they took him off for his neuter....the dog, I mean laugh out loud big laugh Hadn't heard the too-old-to-eat euth at a shelter. I suppose he didn't have a vet to relate to? Yah.

This is really an eye opener for me as some have accused pro Pit people of being fanatical, and I thought to myself, "no, more overly passionate and can get a little bit laborious with their overstatement," but this really is a different level. Comparisons to Lennox, blaming the horse....I mean, REALLY...."had no right to be there!".....I mean, really REALLY - did you just say that?!.....coward cop? And totally overlooking is this was "natural behavior" I highly doubt horses would be able to live our communities, no? It's just typical of what happens when you match a high prey drive dog with an idiot, sadly.

And while not on the topic, I am extremely upset by all this HORRID press going on about ex racers. Maybe living where you do, Gus, you can understand why, as there has been so much effort put in to letting the general public know what marvelous pets they can be. All the positive press, good hearted organizations. For horses that summarily used to end up on canners trucks for slaughter, scared out of their mind. So many of them kind, honest horses. Such a travesty. And now their owners of future will have all this buzzing in their ear that they are highstrung and dangerous. Makes me LIVID! Here is one of those crazy beasts! Rescue based C.A.N.T.E.R. currently Money Issues listed as available, a grand old warrior who raced 110 times in his life. Made his owners, trainers and many bettors happy. They only want $500 and the assurance of a good home for him. He more than deserves his happy answers and not having his market shaken by all this careless speak!

Ok, off my soap box.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 5:28pm PST 
Yeah, Tiller, I've never quite got the breed prejudice/snobbery amongst horse people. I'm suspicious of anyone who spouts out how they know all about it just because they've been into "horses" for 27 years . . you can tell right off the bat they they have neither met nor trained many TBs or else they'd know better. Of course, I might be extra sensitive to it, because my horse and biggest experience was the much maligned Arabian. wink

You and I know there's a vast array of horse worlds out there, you could easily spend all 27 years in one tiny corner just trail riding one or two horses, and the rest of what you "know" is hearsay and rumors . . A lot of the American Quarter Horse people seem blissfully unaware how much TB is in their horses.

I was lucky enough that my boss who gave me my Arab (which she mostly showed) had a variety of boarded breeds and was big into retraining off track TBs. Really most of them had wonderful stable manners, more so than the home grown horses their age that hadn't been off the farm or had much personal time. They get so much daily handling--frequent trailering, baths, shoeing and environmental exposure at the track even at 4 or 5 they're like old hands. She made kid's horses, dressage prospects, hunter jumpers, polo ponies . . . .

I have an old horse friend who does Second Stride--they train them up very nicely before they find them new careers . . ..and another friend here who's doing CANTER KY . . .. I keep getting these postings of great looking horses that need homes fast . . she said for the right home the fee could just about be waived . .. I was sorely tempted by an Afleet Alex son! I mean really, a nearly free Afleet Alex son? I sweated for a couple of days over that one . . . . laugh out loud

But after losing my horse last year, I feel like I'm still crawling out of the horse poor hole--I just couldn't do it, sigh. Free horses aren't cheap . . wink

Edited by author Wed Dec 19, '12 5:32pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 5:56pm PST 
Oh yes, I saw miss "twenty seven years" on the Dogster article comments too. Was that you making such an appearance? I wondered as that individual noted being from KY.

Three Bars was a TB in the Quarter Horse world, and whether you are talking halter (Impressive), cutting (Doc Bar) or of course racing, he redefined the breed silenced

I am not surprised by the Afleet Alex. I paid and ode to him on the Dogster article laugh out loud I've seen horses of sensational pedigree, including one Unbridled half to a couple of G1 horses, up for grabs. You should think of it when the time comes. Or of course you may stick with Arabians wink I was a stallion manager and found them some of the gentlest. Full of showoff-ness which could be imposing, but very kind always.

At any rate, I am pretty nail spitting at all the erroneous press about horses off the track. It really hurts things. Crying shame and such an irksome irony that typecasting is something one should not do. *sigh*
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 7:14pm PST 
Yup, that's me, "Talkingtree" on the other side . . I really had to bite my tongue with "27" because she really said so much more about what experience she "didn't" have with horses. And I would never put myself forth as a horse trainer, but I can tell a talker from a walker . . .

I spent 10 years working in a tack store too . . . . you heard it all there, but it always tickled me when people would brag on how well things were going . . .

"Oh, you got an Arabian, ooh, they're too high strung, they scare me" followed by, "Yeah, our Poco now, he is such a doll, yeah that bit really got him under control . . . he's only thrown Bob twice . . ."

It's like they couldn't help saying that one more thing that busted 'em . . ..laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Dec 19, '12 7:31pm PST

[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 8:45pm PST 
All I can say about horses is...I LOVE Arabians!!!!!!!!! (Fresians are my second favorite.) cloud 9
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 19: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19