GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 19: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 6:06pm PST 
Not a problem, Noah...made me laugh!!!big grin
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 7:48pm PST 
Update on Stoney the horse

Don't know what happened to my last attempt, hope it doesn't double post.

I was looking for an update on the horse . . .. I just knew that Dogster blogger and the dog owner's lawyer were full of it . . . calling into question the horse and officer's experience . . .. The lawyer even called them rookies on their second day on the job . ..WTH! naughty

Turns out Stoney and Officer Evans were on patrol together in Washington, D.C. National Park Police for four years before coming to San Fran. Evans has 18 years experience training horses for the NPS mounted police unit. D.C. is hardly a cush job--I'm sure Stoney saw some action and a few barking dogs there. Rookies my butt!

According to this Charlie was dangling from Stoney's leg in mid-air, while he was trying to fend him off . ...shock

eta: trying linky again Update on Stoney the horse

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 7:51pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 10:02pm PST 
Two of his shoes were broken?! OMG that poor horse, what did it endure?! And the poor officer thrown. If the dog is spared euthanasia, the owner has to be a lot more careful and not let his dog off a lead again in a park, I think. Charlie sounds like he has extremely dangerous prey drive.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 11:28am PST 
Poor horse and cop. frown

I know can be hard to train 100% perfect recall even if police horses or riders are common. Not like every owner has access to stables so they can work at a distance and get closer and work on recall.

Still way this dog acted seemed a bit extreme.

Saya and Bella has met my neighbor's horses they seen them as puppies, but never close.

They now had meetings about 6 or 8 times or more and each time they did fine. Horses are used to dogs and were calm and were the ones to come to the fence to check the dogs out.

They were on leash though and I only let one dog meet the horse at a time so to not overcrowd the horse or anything.

They mainly sniffed each other and Saya was interested in sniffing their poo gross.. confused

Few times Saya did play bow at the horse, but I called her to come and she walked over and calmed down.

I don't think Saya would try hurt them as she seems more curious then prey driven.

Bella seems calm and she used to turn her head when ever the horses mad horse noises.

Saya goes with me to local events that allow dogs and when I went to the covered bridge festival they have a horse drawn carriage that takes people on a tour and so on so a horse went by every so often.

Saya wasn't phased and she didn't make any attempt to chase or bark as it walked by.

One even had riding ponies for kids they were in a fenced area, but Saya could see them and she acted same not much interest except to watch and smell the ground.

Sure a horse running off will trigger a dog to give chase, but if the horse stood ground then the owner should have gathered the dog up.

Off leash is hard to work on and is a gamble as you never know if you might encounter a skunk, porcupine, deer, or turkey!
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 11:52am PST 
The comments on that article blaming the cop are getting ridiculous! naughty

The truth is I'll bet more than 90% of people who have let a dog off leash have done so without truly having a solid, proofed recall . . .. wave Me included.

However, I'm adult enough, to accept that if anything goes wrong, the planets don't line up right, a car backfires, a bunny runs under our nose . . . . I alone took that risk . . .

I am my dog's number one protector, if she gets harmed by my off leash risk-taking . . .. if she encounters a distraction I didn't anticipate (though seriously, you have a dog--there are thousands of possible distractions you will never specifically anticipate) THAT is on ME. Not the police, not the lady with the red umbrella, not that it's Tuesday.

Edited by author Tue Dec 18, '12 11:54am PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:37pm PST 
I couldn't agree with that more.

I did post on one of the articles "I do not agree. Saying to start I have been in rescue for 15+ years, adore Pits, have fostered many, and have a Pit foster as I type this. I have been involved in positive Pit promotion since the early 90's. I also grew up in NYC. Not only are there mounted officers there, but I kept my own horse in a stable on 89th and hacked through Central Park daily. Back in the days before dog parks, when everyone let their dogs loose. I never experienced anything near this. This is a high prey response with an extended amount of gameness to the attack. This dog was not scared. It's flight or fight, not "or chase the scary thing with repeated bites." The mantra is blame the deed, not the breed. There was a deed here, and it was over the top. This dog is young, a teenager, not even fully developed....no one can SAY what he will be yet. The owner FAILED this dog. I place Pits very carefully so that I am sure they will be good ambassadors. It is an extra responsibility. Is that a "Pit thing" ? NO! I have Giant Schnauzers and Cocker Spaniels as my own pets, and you had better believe that my Giants are far better trained and I am far more attending when it comes to them, to intervene in situations as they present. Because if they decide there is trouble, there IS trouble. Neither of my Giants has ever been involved in an incident of any kind, they are well socialized, well trained and lovely, but I never lose sight of what they could do. This was an off lead dog and the owner ultimately had little control over him. I love these dogs, I fight for them every day. But Pit promoters will gain no public confidence when they can't separate those who have done little if anything wrong from those whose drives got the better of them at the hands of an owner who has not a clue as to how to manage these dogs responsibly."

It is really disconcerting to me how much the intensity of the dog's actions are being overlooked. Proclaiming that to be "another Lennox" is so offensive to me on a personal level it riles me entirely. Lennox was very responsibly managed and did absolutely nothing wrong. A true innocent victim, as were the family who loved him and fought so hard.

Blaming the officer and horse is equally disgraceful. The officer could have put a bullet into that dog's head. So when they shoot dogs they are villains and when they DON'T they are "Pit Bull hating cowards"???? And the horse, who was savagely attacked? Did not spook and did not run until he was felled by a dog clamped onto his leg?

Insanity.
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 1:10pm PST 
Both my dogs were raised around horses, and I rode a fair bit when I was younger- showed, did some trail riding, rode in parades- and met a lot of non-horse savvy people and dogs, but have never seen a dog that would engage like that. Very extreme, IMO, and certainly not fear-based.

I had to stop reading the comments after that last article posted, totally ridiculous. Ultimately, the dog owner was not in control of his dog, and he should be held responsible for his dog's actions, not the officer, and certainly not the horse. Although I would not like to see the dog euthanized, I think the owners' ability to safely handle him is questionable.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 4:10pm PST 
Great post, Tiller.

Looks like the dog will be put down ... Brace yourselves for an onslaught of outrage and stupidity.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 4:10pm PST 
Great post, Tiller.

Looks like the dog will be put down ... Brace yourselves for an onslaught of outrage and stupidity.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 4:26pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Excellent post Tiller!! way to go
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 19: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19