GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 15 of 19: Viewing entries 141 to 150)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:24pm PST 
This talk of mules reminds me of a funny story about a farmer who bred mules.

He had the opportunity to take a tour of one of the legendary Thoroughbred racing stud farms with a friend who knew the owners. At one point, the manager brought out one of the most beautiful, most exquisitely built, impeccably bred Thoroughbred mares in the stable to show her off to the guests. . ..

And was supremely insulted when the farmer paid the mare his highest compliment, "Lord, what ah wouldn't give ta have a mule out of that mare!" big laugh

(And another good one for the riff raff files --in one of their supporting arguments against horses being in parks--because "a horse is a large, non-domesticated farm animal."

I couldn't resist pointing out that horses had in fact been domesticated for quite some time . . . I got accused of "twisting" her words, cause I *knew* what she meant)

Give some of these kids books and they just eat the covers . ... shrug
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:58pm PST 
It's TOTALLY off topic, but do you know that Secretariat's first foal was an Appaloosa? 'Tis TRUE!

His sperm analysis did not come back promisingly and there was a lot of pressure there as of course he was syndicated and the whole nation/world wanted Secretariat babies. This was making international news, believe it or not, and somehow it got leaked that he had been test bred to an Appaloosa nurse mare. Of course, the Appaloosa world went NUTS and everyone wanted her. She was sold, in foal, for a reported $25,000, a phenomenal sum for an Appaloosa back then. And did deliver a colt, who bizarrely had been syndicated in utero laugh out loud

Even with that, Claiborne sold the mare refusing to issue a birth certificate. So he could not be the sire of record, just the sire of "everyone KNOWS Secretariat's first foal is an Appy." This stuff actually made Newsweek laugh out loud
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:55pm PST 
Nice try Squam! way to go It scares me what some people think a dog has a right to do in public. . . . And the people who don't note the irony of saying that their dog has barked and been scared in reaction to seeing horses in the city and the "he's never seen a horse before" concept. Yes, people I know they are "non-domesticated" farm animals and all, but they do have them in cities even today.

I've checked the "owner's" Help Save Charlie page and he is crashing and burning over there with a lot of people who have followed him from the start.

Cesar, Villalobos, Akita Angels, UC Davis --everyone who suggests that relinquishing is best for Charlie---are apparently being paid off to agree with the city of San Francisco.

But my favorite was the creepy third person response . .. "What did David do wrong?"

(At first I thought maybe more than one person was administering the site, but there are a few long passages where he goes back and forth . . one sentence is "I" and the next is "David" . . . .)eek
[notify]

Twister

forever loved

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:33pm PST 
Ah, the whole 'speak in third person to make it sound as if someone else is talking so you don't look like you are trying to make yourself look good' trick (was that too long? lol). People do it all the time, I've done it for papers and brochures in some college classes (we were supposed to do it though)...but at least get your grammar correct! big laugh Personally, I don't trust people who do the whole third person bit for things like this...it really does seem like he is trying to deceive others...and it frustrates me since I can't edit it (heh heh).smile
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:11pm PST 
And it finally happened. Someone brought Hitler into it. I called Goodwin's Law. Discussion shall now endlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 4:54am PST 
found this comment on the FB page

I love this dog, he risked getting kicked and killed by the horse.
Let him go, there is to much hatred in this world, even towards animals.

wth????

dog, I really dont understand people
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 10:18pm PST 
The Hitler thing was always an inevitability, as tragic as it is to say. shock
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 12:57pm PST 
It's scary to read some of the comments on the Charlie articles.

However if you filter the comments to the highest rated ones, the comments written with the most knowledge and common sense rank the highest. I don't feel so bad now. The people who read and visit this site have more credentials and dog knowledge than the hired writers IMO.

Dogster is loosing credibility.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:06pm PST 
Yeah, covering a story is one thing, but this guy on Dogster is a tool for the crazy owner . . .

Interestingly, this story has got a more balanced response--mostly on the owner responsibility side of the fence . . . . some just pure pitbull hate, but mostly people who with mostly reasoned thoughts that think the owner is an irresponsible moron . . .

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius/article/Pit-bull-Charlie -should-never-be-free-4162592.php
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:50am PST 
I think what twists my tail the most is if we are not jumping on the band wagon shouting "FREE CHARLIE!" we are pittie haters.and compareing him to Lennox.thats just wrong.

so just to make sure I understand them, its ok for a dog to attack anything that they see for the first time.
[notify]
  (Page 15 of 19: Viewing entries 141 to 150)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19