GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 14 of 19: Viewing entries 131 to 140)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:13pm PST 
Natasha, they're probably aren't too many of them, thankfully---the dog was white. The quality was very grainy and the horse didn't stand still very long--he could very well have been a fine-boned type mule. Couldn't tell by the ears--they were pinned back most of the time, but he did seem to have a fairly straight top line compared to a lot of horses, so he could have been a mule. I'll PM the link to you.

Some people are getting way emotional over there and the name-calling, personal attacks, conspiracy theories, whoa! shock

Twister was right to advise not even going there . . ..laugh out loud I understand Dogster likes getting the hits and attention and all, but it sure opens up a wide world of people who have some very reactionary views and woeful lack of insight about dog training too. ("like how's anyone expected to train their dog to be off leash around horses, when they don't have a horse available? that's ridiculous"--where do you even begin?) meditate I don't know sometimes I think Dogster brings the site down and doesn't do dogs any favors when it puts up these poorly chosen, ill-written articles . . . .

But the more I hear about the owner's subsequent behavior . . .. just reinforces a negative image. It seems he didn't even show up to the temperament test at UC Davis when he was advised by both his lawyer and Akita Angels rescue that it would be more comfortable and helpful for Charlie for him to be there. . . ... . that just doesn't sound like a do anything for my dog guy --I can't imagine any of us regulars not being there for something so important in saving our dogs . ..shrug He claims on his page he was tricked into doing this test by Akita Angels and insinuates there was a conspiracy to make it not go well . . .
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:01pm PST 
I would absolutely be there for my dogs' temperament test if they got in to trouble! That he didn't just... ugh! I can't stand this man, and I can't stand that he has so many people buying his sob story and sending him "donations" which at this point I doubt he even plans to use for Charlie's benefit!

From what I've read, tomorrow, December 31st, is the dog's last day. The appeal made them hold off on his euthanasia until next year, so if Gizzarelli doesn't give the dog up to a rescue or sanctuary, he'll be euthanized on the 1st, right? Is that how it works, or did I misunderstand something somewhere?

If he is euthanized or given to a sanctuary within the next 2 days, either way, as long as he doesn't go back to Gizzarelli, I'll have nothing else to say in the rest of this argument. For now my biggest concern is that that man does not get his hands on the dog again.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:13pm PST 
Oh sheesh, comment quoted from a supporter from his FB page regarding the latest update from San Francisco examiner. .. .

What's ridiculous is that the writer used the terms "attacked" & "attacking" in regards Charlie several times (& in close proximity to description "pit bull"), without giving any background on what actually happened. All that does is reinforce the misconception that pit bulls are attack dogs. They should have given background, the writer should have used terms like "spooked" (as in, "the dog was spooked by an unexpected horse coming at him!") & "nipped", terms that any other dog lover would understand immediately. It is infuriating that "journalists" such as this effectively promote the continuing myths about pit bulls without even realizing it, because they (& their editors) are simply lazy &/or ignorant! I am writing to the paper about this.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt! eek

"was spooked"and "nipped" oh, my . . .
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:32pm PST 
Oh boy... there is a BIG difference between a nip and a bite, as well as being spooked and attacking. (where is a facepalm icon when you want one?)
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:40pm PST 
sigh... I must admit, I have been a tad silly with them. Arguing with facts does not faze them, so I am now being silly. Like, the poster who asked why "you're not posting under your real name"..yet is using the name *blank-blank's closet". So I asked if that was her real name & signed my post "clint eastwood's chair"laugh out loud
What I find interesting is that, although it is a dogster article, on dogster...dogster guidelines do not apply. Some serious name calling & vitriol being spewed. Is Disqus a Say subsidiary?shrug
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:40pm PST 
Hey! That nip felled a 1,000 beastie! laugh out loud SOME nip big laugh And the last time I looked "spooked" doesn't quite tie in with pursuit? shrug

Oh silly me!
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 7:49pm PST 
They are being quite ridiculous. I took a look at their FB page, and was quite astounded that so many people react without thinking...wait...I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that...shh

At one point, they had set up a link to the mayor's FB page asking people to leave him a message...so I did (but it was in support of any decision they make that does NOT include returning him to that owner). Probably not what they were wanting. Ah well.wink

This whole thing makes me upset...he has rescues offering...PLEADING with him to relinquish Charlie to them to save his life...but he is so stuck on having things done his way and not budging an inch he is willing to gamble with his dog's life. If he truly loved his dog, he would give him up to spare his life. To me, this is what is truly disturbing and tells me this is NOT a man to be trusted with this dog.confused
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:21pm PST 
I won't even go near it. It's not worth the trouble. They're not going to listen. Bunch'a hard line zealots.

I do like Clint Eastwood's Chair, though. laugh out loud
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:29pm PST 
Oh, trust me, I didn't post a single comment...it's not worth it. I don't like wasting my time trying to talk sense to people who don't listen.

I agree though, on the chair comment...applause
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 7:17am PST 
Gus-It was the same video I had seen before. The reason why I had thought it was a mule was because of the stripe going down its back and at the end when it faces towards the camera, you can see the tan around the mouth and the face looks more mulish. But, it really is difficult to tell due to the graininess/shakiness of the film. It's definitely not the type of mule I'd see in Missouri...shrug And for anyone who hasn't seen it, it's very graphic and disturbing. However, it is a good lesson for people to keep control of their dogs at all times, you never know how a horse/mule will react to being attacked by a dog. When a large animal like that switches from docile to aggressive, the results can be deadly.

You know, if Natasha for some odd reason ended up in a situation where her life depended on me giving her up to a rescue, I would do it, and sort out whether or not I could get her back later. I would make sure she was safe first and foremost. For the life of me, I don't understand why he's not doing this for Charlie if he cares for him as much as he says he does.

I might go peek back at the comments just to see the chair comment! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 14 of 19: Viewing entries 131 to 140)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19