GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 13 of 19: Viewing entries 121 to 130)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:38pm PST 
"YOUR RONG"

"...I'm... I'm sorry...? My what...?" laugh out loud

I'm sorry, this whole stuff about 'high drive' being a made up term? That's just sad. Some of the stuff they've said is just incredible... I can't wrap my head around the way these people think. And that person who's insisting that those aren't dog bites in the photos of Stony's injuries because dog bites don't look like that, and it's so obvious that the stupid horse injured HIMSELF when he was fleeing...? I can't. I just can't. These people. I swear to dog. shock

It's just become a blame game at this point. Charlie supporters will not hear a word about any of this being Gizzarelli's fault. No, it's all the "stupid police man's fault" or "all the mean scary horse's fault." I would be less annoyed by it all if Gizzarelli would actually be a responsible human being and fess up to his mistake.

I've been asked--er, no.. I've been TOLD by someone who clearly knows better than I do, that my dog would react the same way Charlie had because that's "Normal behavior for a dog who's never seen a horse before." Well, the pictures of Evans and Stony, and the fact that they came from DC, reminded me of a time a couple years ago when we were walking through the mall in DC. A black officer and his chestnut colored horse rode past us. I don't know if that was them, or not... Honestly, I doubt it, because what are the odds, right? But anyways, this mounted unit rode up from behind us. It was the first time Ava had EVER seen a horse, and you know what she did? She whirled on her leash, and let out a quick surprised growl, like "Grr!?" But she didn't make any attempt whatsoever to lunge at the horse. And the horse literally didn't even seem to notice her. And they were about 3 feet away from us! Now, Charlie saw Stony and Evans from over 200 feet away, and he charged them, and they're calling THAT a normal fear response!? Are you kidding me!?

...Ugh. I just needed to rant about that. This case is getting on my nerves. laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 7:04pm PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:10pm PST 
Yep, Ava, some of these "ranters" think a dog being surprised and barking at a novel thing is the exact same thing as Charlie's behavior? They act as if their dog barks at something strange, he'll be in the same boat . . . ..

In the words of Will Farrell in "Blades of Glory" . . .. it's "mind-bottling!" laugh out loud

That could very well have been Officer Evans you saw! Who knows?

The horse lover in me couldn't help researching him a little more, because I'm so dang tired of the "idiot cop" comments . . .

And I was pleased to find this

http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=People News&id=2068

In the summer of 2007, the United States Park Police was contacted by the State Department, which was looking for an expert in horse mounted patrol who could support the development of a Horse Mounted Patrol (HMP) Unit in the Law Enforcement Division in Tibilsi, Georgia.

With the support of the chief of police, an instructor from the Horse Mounted Unit was selected to travel to Tibilsi, Georgia, to evaluate the status and needs for the developing of a mounted patrol unit in the Republic of Georgia. Officer W. Eric Evans was selected.

Now I ask you, ladies and gentlemen of good reason, who's accounting of the incident am I going to give weightier credence to . . ..

A distinguished horse patrol officer, trainer and instructor of 18 years who spent time in the madding crowds of D.C. (where last I heard they also have barking dogs)

OR

Mr. My Dog ain't never seen a horse before, oh yeah, he was neutered and licensed 2 months ago when the city made me comply, and what's this prey drive and voice control and training bunk people keep going on about?

(The richest part is the owner's account on his save Charlie page says the dog barked, approached, sniffed the horse and then "a scuffle ensued" . . .eek)
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 9:00pm PST 
Wonder what these knuckleheads would say about the dog that attacked a horse from a mounted patrol in Golden Gate park a few years back.

(Why is this missed point driving me mad)--And Charlie Brown, like I posted in a a few previous posts here, that horse and its rider, a paid officer, had every right to be where they were whether the horse was in training or not. It's national park property. Not private property. It's not a "dog park" like most would think. It's a beach and green belt area that allows off leash dogs.
And yes, the dog did that damage to the horse. The dog is solely responsible for what you're seeing in those pics. It's not because the horse ran through brush.
[notify]

Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 10:13pm PST 
Any dog that with that kind of audacity, prey drive, and aggression is a dangerous dog in my opinion. The horse would not have gotten so terrified as to run back had his rider not been thrown, and had he not been severely injured by the dog. I think that was clear. This really has nothing to do with the breed of the dog, but more how unmanageable and aggressive the dog clearly is. If the people arguing for the dog can't even see that, then there's a serious lapse in their perception of reality.

On anther note, where we live there are a lot of Amish people. That means a lot of horses. Gunther finds them about as interesting as brick walls. laugh out loud
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 12:13pm PST 
Okay so for my sanity I have been trying to stay away the comments section of the article, but I couldn't resist...

'High drive' is a made up term, but 'horse aggression' is real and most dogs have it?!? Seriously?!?

And the conspiracy theories are really too much. The horse injured himself- LMFAO. I bet the horse was the mastermind behind the whole conspiracy too. He obviously has it in for the poor puppy because he's an unstable TB.

It's also pretty shocking that the park police were in a public park. Oh wait-isn't that what we pay taxes for? thinking
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 6:22pm PST 
Wow, I just got an earful of hate from an English lady! I was going to ignore, but researched on the save charlie page . ...figured out who she was, then checked her FB and while it's easy enough to find something to pick out and be snarky... she had her photos of her dogs --she has a Staffie and talked about her horse and her mom's health issues and I just couldn't give hate back.......

I figure she's taking anything less than "poor, poor puppy" as an "attack" on her own dog because he's a bully, just like my passion and blind spot was for the unfair attack on Thoroughbreds and the horse. (I still think it was over the top . ....) Sometimes these internet "discussions?" make a person question their humanity and sanity . .... namaste'meditate

This is why I love Teddy's mom so much . ...she doesn't get down in the dirt (like me and then have to reel it back in!laugh out loud She always keeps on the classy side of things!
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 6:50pm PST 
lol, the only kind of dirt Twist likes is the kind you roll in (and then get it all over me...), any other kind just isn't nice (but it sure isn't easy being nice when ignorant people start pointing fingers).dog walk It's crazy how mean some people can get when all they see is a screen and not the other person (wal, sure hope they aren't normally like that face to face).

Namaste.way to go

Edited by author Fri Dec 28, '12 6:52pm PST

[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 2:58am PST 
I was told I was annoying. really????
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 7:35am PST 
She does seem to be an absolute looney---she called Tiller a muppet who has no business having anything to do with dogs . .. . .among other things . . ..laugh out loud

I attempted responding as if there might be some humanity deep down in there, but she's quite an angry bird. . . .

I was looking around youtube out of curiosity on dog horse attacks and found a disturbing and very interesting video of a cart horse in some poor country, looks like South America maybe . .. who was being assailed by a large bully dog. He wasn't hooked up to the cart, but in an alley loose near the cart . ... a man was attempting to get at the dog with a long pole .. .. BUT the horse got the dog first . .. and once he got him knocked loopy and to the ground, he continued by picking the dog up in his teeth and shaking it and dropping it, until after a long couple of minutes he was satisfied it was finished. He drops it one last time and walks off with a small hind end kick in the dog's general direction . ... sort of like wiping his hands of the matter.

I don't want to link it here, because though not bloody, it was so graphic, but if anyone's curious to see it, you can pm me.

I know I've heard many say donkeys esp. and know horses that will go after a dog, but I've never seen it . ... quite eye-opening. eek
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 11:25pm PST 
Gus- If that's the video I'm thinking of, it was a mule, not a horse. I wouldn't doubt a horse would behave the same way, but mules are more stand-your-ground-and-fight than horses are(from the little I know about them), so that video, while shocking, didn't surprise me with the outcome.

I did go look at some of the comments in the Charlie article, and gave some thumbs up in support of the common sense posts, but it's just so... shrug ...I don't know really, I just had to go look at something else.

Between the Charlie article and the "other" one, I'm beginning to think that people are being blinded and overwhelmed by their passion and emotions and aren't stopping to actually *think* about the subject, what they're saying, etc...and rather than helping prove their point or strengthen their cause, it's hurting them, doing more harm than good.
[notify]
  (Page 13 of 19: Viewing entries 121 to 130)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19