GO!

Dogs new to horses . . .. what are the common reactions?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 10 of 19: Viewing entries 91 to 100)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:57am PST 
I just budded into another debate, getting snarky, lol!

U r so wrong ....my freind of many years said u just don't have horses and digs around each other. He ownes 6 horses and u have to train the horses to b around dogs!!!!!!!
Also that park is set up for dogs to run off leash
Sounds like some ppl on here must know the horses rider on personal bases. I hope something does not happen to ur 4 legged freinds for u to loose sleep !!!!!
So coming from someone who knows horses that lives on a farm u dont just show up on a horses whereever u plz ......they just don't handle each other like that ......free Charlie and bring charges against the rider on the horse . And to answer the question how come the horse ran into Charlie 1s.
Had the other dogs seen the horse it would have been a lot more dogs scared of that horse!!!!!

No. Here is a link....http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sho... a forum on the Chronicle of the Horse forum which shows just how many people took on Pit Bulls who wandered onto their farms. You do NOT have to desensitize horses to dogs. The majority of horses grow up on farms with dogs. Many....and I mean MANY....racehorses live in the stalls with animal companions - goats, roosters, cats. I would assume, very true and I do agree, that most horses would be a bit concerned if a dog was trying to crush their leg with his teeth.

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 11:58am PST

[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 1:46pm PST 
Oh my dog!! I'm going to have a brain hemorage from reading how stupid these people are. ARGH!!!!

"you don't just show up on a horses(sic) wherever u plz"...
Uh, yeah you do my dear. In a national park, it's not a right for off leash dogs to have access. It's a freaking privilege.
These ya-hoos have the attitude that the horse entered private property. Where does this thinking come from?

Oh my dog. I'm going insane reading these people's posts you're reposting Tiller.
Where are these posts coming from? I'm unable to access any from the article that Gus linked.

I have to say, the people posting these idiotic comments must have no knowledge of how this off leash national park operates. I think they think it's specifically a dog park.
I've talked to a half dozen dog owners at Crissy Field since this subject has come up on Dogster and every single dog owner was disgusted by the attitude of the people pleading for the dogs life.
About half of those I spoke with had no idea about the attack and were horrified by the damage done to the horse. But, all were on the side of the horse and its rider.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 3:16pm PST 
I just got accused of pretending to be someone else and actually hating Pit Bulls laugh out loud Yah, I hate them real good. LMFAO!
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 3:36pm PST 
Tiller! I never knew you were a TROLL!!!!!
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 3:59pm PST 
Tiller is a troll?!silenced

It is ridiculous that they are going so far as to say the police officer needs to be charged! They keep going on like the place they were at was a dog park...but it was not. These people are going to hurt the cause for pit bulls in the long run.naughty
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 4:05pm PST 
No kidding. That officer was in rights to shoot that dog and from the reports had the framework to do it, but didn't. No one seems to appreciate that whatsoever. That he was not a Pit phobe and did not pre judge. And yet now everyone says hateful things shrug
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 4:09pm PST 
Tiller, do you have an evil twin? thinking laugh out loud

Thinks for chiming in with your expertise in the comment section, some of the folks there are really off the rails! way to go

I would be all for saving Charlie if he hadn't 1. attacked the officer first 2. horrendously mauled an innocent horse. The level of damage to poor Stoney and the distance Charlie chased him, just speaks volumes of how dangerous Charlie is. IF Charlie is saved, he should NEVER be allowed to go home with his current, irresponsible, owner. If he does, I'm afraid something similar could happen again.

I also thought they were at a dog park the first time I read the first article, it wasn't until a long while later that I realized it wasn't, and even then, I didn't realize it was as huge a place that Moose has been describing. It really helps to hear more about the area, so thanks for the information, Moose! big grin
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 4:22pm PST 
why isnt anyone looking at the fact this was a police horse, on the job! in a sence, charlie attacked an office of the law! if he attacked a police dog they would all be barking a diffrent tune.

Tiller, you know I was just twisting yer tail with the troll thing right?
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 4:39pm PST 
Well, I'm definitely a troll cause I'm using the disqus profile name I signed up with months ago . . . . I've clearly got a hidden agenda . . .. sanity.

It is always so delightful when one is accused of knowing nothing about horses and dogs (or children . . . how did they get in there? . ..)and using faulty logic by people who use the oddest analogies and strangest anecdotes to support their positions . . .. laugh out loud (I mean Sixhorses and the story about the horse who had an accident where he lacerated a vein in his jaw and bled out or something . .. so horses can get hurt and killed all on their own so . . . therefore what this dog did is no big deal????) shrug

It's like walking into a Monty Python movie . . ."No, no. What else floats in water?--Bread.--Apples--Very small rocks. . . . . . .-Lead! Lead!--A Duck. Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So logically...If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood."

Bravo to you Tiller, for your patience and lovely homage to the pit bull! applause

I suppose it will still be over the heads of many of the "shouters".
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 4:45pm PST 
I was switching back and forth between rofl and the twinges of a migrain from stupidity with each comment I read
[notify]
  (Page 10 of 19: Viewing entries 91 to 100)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19