GO!

What Makes You a "Dog Person" ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 3:44pm PST 
The fact that if you start talking dog or ask me a dog-related question, I probably will not shut up for the next several hours.

I don't know what draws me to dogs. Probably that they're so much like us in many ways. I love their athleticism, joie de vivre, and their diversity. I always wanted a dog. I used to spend a lot of time with the dogs my friends and family owned (because I never had one til Risa) during social events. smile

I'd rather spend time with my dog (or others who would also rather spend time with their dogs) than with people. I like people too and doing non-dog-related things but I am bummed if I have to leave my dog behind to attend an event anyway.
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 5:19pm PST 
You know you're a dog person when-

You don't have a Facebook page, but your dogs have Dogster pages.

An ex-Marine personal trainer with a cattle prod couldn't get you to exercise daily, but a 17 pound dog can make you get up early and go on a 3 mile trek every day just by standing by the door and staring pointedly at you.

The employees at FoodMaxx think you are weird because you only buy bulk amounts of weird cuts of meat (hearts/livers/turkey necks- they must think I'm on a really crazy diet.)

You would be horrified to find human hair in you food, but dog hair counts as one of the food groups.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:08pm PST 
Like most of you in this thread, I grew up in a household that had quite a few dogs around so I got used to the presence of dogs. But there are some people who grew with dogs but hate them - I love them! Also, I did notice that when I am walking around the neighborhood even without my dog Peggy, some dogs would walk up to me and wag their tails. They don't act aggressive, though, just friendly, so I pat their heads a bit and tell them what a beautiful dog they are and go on my way. Sometimes people call me a dog whisperer, but I'm really not. big grin
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:06am PST 
Definitely dogs can become a big focus of socializing and conversation. At work people will often open their phones to show me pictures of their fur children. Me too...basically if you ask me about most of my grown human children my hackles raise and my blood pressure goes up.
Ask me about my dogs and oh, I can happily chatter for hoursbig grin
happy dancedancinghappy dancedancinghappy dancedancinghappy dancedancingdogsnoopy
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 9:04pm PST 
I have to remind myself not to mention my dog fifty times in conversation to my not so doggy friends . . . .

My younger relatives (cause at that age they have no filter, ya know laugh out loud) let me know my car smells like a dog and "eew" has fur all over the back seat . . . and really, I have NO idea what they're talking about shrug

We're constantly taking dog classes . . . . .

I'd rather buy another cute collar for Gus than new clothes for myself.

I've learned to not mind walking in any kind of weather (well, except downpours of course) . . .

They know us very well at the local feed store . . . we go at least once a week for treats.

Oh wait, what was the question? Those sound more like symptoms . . .

laugh out loudlaugh out loudblue dog
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:48pm PST 
I've had dogs my entire life growing up. Cats too, but I just feel like the bond you get with your dogs is on a whole other level that can't even be compared. The way that you and another species such as a dog can communicate and understand each other almost to the extent of another human, is really just mind blowing to me. Sure you can develop such a relationship with a cat, but dogs just seem so much more readily willing to please, work and accompany their owners.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 4:13pm PST 
"Dog person"? Me? No. I'm a "some dog person". I love my dog, and selective other dogs. I'd be kind of any dog, but as far as opening my heart and home, only some dogs have the "it" factor for me. It's not a particular breed, just a type. My girl is a mix from a rescue. And who knows, maybe with more dogs, that will change. Cats? Hard to imagine a type of cat I wouldn't love to have, except maybe hairless smile But I had cats all my life, and just recently got my first dog. And I still love cats, but my husband was never a cat person, so... I got a dog after I had to put down my last cat after 15 years. Call me "ambipetrous".laugh out loud Given my druthers, I'd be raising a cat and a dog together.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:27pm PST 
Perhaps it's about being a "critter person". I'm a bit of a loner sometimes. A pile of books in the corner of Barnes and Noble and I can get lost for hours. But a dog, cat or human toddler, even a sociable rodent and I turn into a happy babbling idiot, rather nifty actually little angel
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3