GO!

What Makes You a "Dog Person" ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 12:57am PST 
I'm a loner who doesn't connect with people. wink Gotta have something.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:52pm PST 
I was thinking about how to explain:

Behind the wheel

OK Go - White Knuckles

The wolf is an amazing animal. The domesticated wolf? There is just nothing like it! I would feel incomplete without my canine partner thinking

Big, small, fast, slow... they complete us in too many ways to tell wink
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:44pm PST 
I have more pictures of my dogs than I do of my family members.
My dogs have more toys than my kids ever had.
My day is planned around pee and poop walks.
I never go anywhere without poop bags.
Poop is a common topic.
I wear my dogs hair everywhere.
Wearing slop is a common occurrence.
I have treats in all my pockets and in the car.
I know all the people I meet on our walks by their dogs name.
When I drive with the car windows down, hair blows out the window.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:43am PST 
What makes me a dog person? I'm not a cat person ha ha. wink Well I begrudgingly had cats growing up because we lived in apts and up here very few apts allow dogs of any size. I still loved them, but they're just not as interactive as dogs. To a kid, they couldn't do as much cool stuff, either. But it was heaven at my grandparents' house. They always had a dog or two (the ones I consider my childhood dogs) and my aunt and uncles were breeders. If there was a litter I would beg to go over there and drove everybody nuts. My grandfather was a wildlife rehabber, too, this was long before that sort of thing was common. He was the nutty wild critter lover. Raccoons, various birds, turtles, snakes... He founded an educational nature program at the 4H that is still thriving today.

There weren't too many jobs here for teens besides farm work, I did some of that. Then there was the race track. So back then there was a lot of work revolving around greys, kennel helper was a decent job and you could work your way up from there.

I can't imagine a life without animals, but dogs are my heart. They simply give so much to humans in too many ways to even list, willingly and lovingly. The only other animal that comes close is the horse. We wouldn't be where we are today without either of them. All shapes, sorts, colors, sizes, mutts, purebreds; they're all gifts.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:49am PST 
I from birth have never not had a dog around for any lengthy period of time.
I simply do not know how to live without a dog around. Dogs I am told do not like people,instantly love me often to the shock and suprize of their owners. The few short times I have been without a dog have been lonely and frightening,how else do you explain all of the strange noises in the house if you can't say to yourself half asleep,"Oh,it's just the dog doing..." or Wether or not the person knocking on your door or walking in your house is friend or foe? Or know for certain that the fuzzy warm thing cuddled against you when your significant other isn't home,really is? Or that no matter how bad the day is that there will be someone at the door to greet you that is truly happy that you are home? Or no matter your mood is just happy that you are with them,and loves you without judgement or question? and is totally secure that you love them as well,even if they don't have 100% of your attention? That is what makes me a dog person,I just couldn't imagine my life without a dog in it.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:35am PST 
I have always been a dog person smile. We could never afford a dog growing up, but I was constantly begging my parents for one. Once, there was a family giving away border collie/heeler mixes from an oops litter, and I was in tears because my dad said no. Looking back, it was a wise decision. We lived in a tiny apartment and could barely afford to take care of ourselves; it wouldn't be fair to the dog.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 11:58am PST 
Apparently I have always loved dogs.. All I know is that my grandparents got a dog, Leo, from a rescue and things have never been the same since smile. Leo was only with us for around 10 months- he was an old man who had a hard life, but we gave him a great last few months and I adored him. Not long after losing Leo, my grandparents got two more dogs... And then the icing on the cake, a dog of my own! My Trixie. 12 years later I am still dog obsessed laugh out loud
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 4:01pm PST 
Great question!

I also believe I was born a dog person. I was my neighborhood pet sitter from a young age. My dad got me my first dog when I was in the 4th grade. I was totally responsible for taking care of my dog...and followed through for his entire life and the life's of all my pets since.

My home and yard are arranged with my dogs in mind...Double gated fenced yard, xeric-scaped yard for durability....insulated doggie door, and dog beds everywhere.

We have a designated "dog mobile" full stocked with leashes, poo bags, collapsible water bowl, towel, treats, extra large 3" foam mattress that has a water proof and washable cover, a muzzle and doggie first aid kit.

What makes me a dog person? The fact that I find dog paws the best smell in the world eek laugh out loud Weird but true.

I find I don't trust people who don't like dogs.

Our daily schedule revolves around "how long have the kids been in their crates?" No more than three hours in a Day.

I can't imagine my life without a dog. A house isn't a home without a dog. Period.
[notify]
Dylan &- Grace& Bryce

trouble X 3

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 4:26pm PST 
I printed return address lables for Dylan, Grace & Bryce
and right now, they have more christmas cards hanging then me & my hubby do
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 8:03pm PST 
I'm enjoying reading everyone's post on the subject...n' yes Sonja, the three best smells in the world are "frito paws", a warm cat tummy and a the hair of a freshly washed human baby happy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3