GO!

What Makes You a "Dog Person" ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 5:40pm PST 
A fun thread we've done on other sites. Besides the obvious of having a pooch...or two...or four...
What makes YOU a dog person? It began with a discussion some time ago about cat people, dog people and of course some people go both ways heeheehee.

For almost fifty years I identified as a cat person. My house was decorated in wall to wall cat and cats. Statues, pictures, needlework, tattoos, books sheets,handbags,clothes, anything imaginable. I inherited alot from my Mom including the attitude of dogs were sweet and needy but cats rule.

Then I met the sweet brown-eyed baby who would turn me around. The change was gradual. I became a pro bully advocate-lots of great tshirts to spread the word. Then some framed pictures, and the search for iconic statues. More shirts, more pictures, noticing all the dogs in public I never really saw before.

Then the personal shift in realizing "Wait I REALLY am a cat person, what is happening to me?"
1. Bringing the dog home treats when I go out and feeling truly guilty if I don't.
2. Apologizing to the dog for not having time to get her a treat.
3. The ice cream flavor I get depends on if I can share it with her.
4. The dog vs cat tshirt ratio is 3:1.
5. I know more neighborhoods from nightly walks than I ever did in thirty years of living here.
6. The best time of my day used to be night time with a good book and a cat on my lap. Now the best is night time with a good book, a cat on my lap, and two dogs spread across the rest of me.
5. I have talked to Sophie on the phone when I was gone overnight...and called her sitter um...three times? okay maybe four...

Okay, the actual cats do indeed rule the house and I still love them dearly...but tonight I put magnet frames on a picture each of Sophie and Callie to put in my locker at work...I guess I've crossed to the canine side...I surrender hail
So what makes YOU a dog person?rainbow

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 3:46pm PST

[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 12:52pm PST 
Growing up, my parents always had a dog. I have 2 sisters and 1 brother and I was and still am the only animal lover out of the sibblings. How do I know I'm a dog person? Cause I have no couch anymore, my coffee table is chewed, we had to build benches and attach them to the house to hide the holes where Huck chewed on my wood siding, so much more that I can't remember it all but yet I love him. My dogs have food in their bowls, a warm place to sleep and as much love and attention they want. I have no pictures of my kids on my desk at work but I have 11 pictures of the dogs.red face I find it hard to go into the memorial thread cause I cry over the lose of any dog, be it mine or a strangers. I will take in any stray that I see that looks lost or homeless. So yes, I guess I'm a dog person
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:18pm PST 
I always found myself attracted towards animals.shrug

My grandmother would always have a cat around. Looking back at pictures of me at her house, I always had a cat in my lap.laugh out loud

I don't know when I really started to prefer dogs though. The only person in my family who had a dog was my uncle. Like my grandma, he always had at least 1 dog around.

I always wanted to meet any animals in the house I'd go to.

I really think it wasn't until later in Sanka's life did I really start to get into dogs. I'd barely walk him and started looking into more info on walking him because he was a terror to walk. I read and read and just found the whole dog training incredibly fascinating.

I then got Kato. He was really the dog that got me going. He's more my style. Fits better. And after experiencing the uber potential of a dog, I'll never look back.

And yeah, if I go to the store and see dog treats, I'll buy them some if only because I want to bring a treat.

I also have "dog clothes." Clothes that I keep separate from my good clothes. Clothes that I expect to more than likely get ripped, muddy, stained, etc.

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 1:26pm PST

[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:28pm PST 
I was 7 when I first asked for a dog. My parents said, sorry, we live in an apartment, so no, but you can have a cat. All right, I'll make do with that kitty A couple of years later, we moved into a house and yippee, a dog! I have rarely been without one since. I always had cats as well until my last cat passed away. Bunny hates them, so no more cats. I turned into the crazy dog lady after I got Princesselaugh out loud I spent a lot of time on dogster after thatdog I think that being here so much turned me into a "real" dog personbig laugh

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 1:29pm PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:29pm PST 
I was born that way. We always had a dog and when I was a little kid I had a breed book, a very old AKC guide that my grandad gave me. It wasn't a kids book...covered in brown leather and with a page or two on each of the breeds, I knew it by heart before I could read.

I "owned" all of those dogs in my dreams. And I think it may explain my frequent visits to "Choosing a Breed" in which I quiz ever patient dogsters on the qualities of this breed...or of that one.

When I had to board them for a short visit at Thanksgiving it occured to me (no for the first time) how empty my life would be without my pups.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 3:13pm PST 
Same here...growing up we always had a dog or 2 or 9. My mother was a breeder- first Shih Tzu then Belgians. It was more normal to always have a dog around where ever or whenever.

Now- I am in debt due to getting a large 5th wheel because we can not leave the dogs when we go on vacation. Hubby made himself sick last time and we only had Maci then...it would be worse leaving cuddlebutt Harley behind.

I do not even notice dog hair - on clothes or floors anymore. It just exists like air smile
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:49pm PST 
As long as i have known i have always been the "weird dog girl." big laughbig laugh The first dog was mainly my mothers to take care of but was considered the "family dog." then we got Zoe, then apollo then Kashmir which is truly my first dog. I have so many Boxer things and clothes cloud 9 they take up half my wardrobe.
1. You know i am a dog person when the back seat of my car is covered in dog hair.
2. I do apologize when i dont come home with something for them
3. Dog hair is everywhere in my coats, hoodies and even my shoes red face
4. They eat before i do!!
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:12pm PST 
Dogs amaze me, always have.

We have a symbiotic relationship with a species that could just as easily rip us apart as lick our faces, that can adapt to and flourish in our silly human world from jungles to towns to cities, that can understand our communication to so fine a degree that they can seem to read our minds, that can communicate back with us with a full and elaborate language whether we fully understand or not.

It stops my heart to see the teamwork dogs can have with people.. it's amazing that we can share whole lives with these pack predators who dream and problem solve and fight and hunt, who as a species, frankly, are in most ways superior to humans and who occasionally do demonstrate that they CAN take us on.. and they're willing to dance on their back legs and retrieve sticks for us.

I think that's pretty cool!

Of course, not all BREEDS are respectable for the same reasons, haha. I still think the communication thing is pretty fantastic. (:
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:51pm PST 
Growing up there were dogs in the house. Both of my parents loved animals and were so kind to them. My mom was that person who dogs and cats migrated to when they were around her. Strays b-lined it for her. It was a trip.

I was born loving animals, but dogs just have a special place in my soul.

The communication dogs have with humans is so incredible. The way they feel your emotions, laugh with you, lie with you when you're blue or sick, love to go for car rides with you, love to see you when you come home, protect you, follow you around, want to sleep where you're sleeping, make you laugh, the way they laugh and on and on.

They are such amazing creatures.

I grew up with 2 dogs and a cat in the house. If I could have had a barn full of critters when I was little, I would have been in heaven.
My sister on the other hand........does not like animals. Genes fall in funny ways.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 11:15pm PST 
To be honest, I'm not really a dog person! red face laugh out loud I prefer rabbits, they suit my personality more. However, there is a lot more I can do with dogs, so I end up spending more time with Natasha than I do with Ava, my rabbit. thinking I have been called a dog person before, because I like to talk about new things I've learned and when it comes to animals, I'm usually learning about dogs(behavior, breed traits, etc). And right now I'm researching a couple of specific breeds, which I've told folks about and so now they think I'm dog crazy, which isn't really true...shrug laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3