GO!

Barking Problem

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Parsons- Pearl of- Twenty Nine- P

Spreading- Sunshine &- Sweetness, :)

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 1:46pm PST 
I am at my wits end. I have an 18 week old Bichon/Shih tzu mix. She barks at anything. She will just stand in the middle of a room and bark. I have gone through all of the reasons she could be barking. She can't see out of the windows, I listen for noises, etc. I am sure she hears noises that I don't hear, but I can not figure out what to do about it. I have another dog in the house, same mix, that is 22 months old and she will not be barking at the same time. I have never had a dog that barked like this. It is driving me crazy.
I have tried the treat for barking/then treat for speak/then treat for only quiet. That was working with some success, she would quiet for seconds between barks. However, it seemed as if she was only quiet to receive treats and would just resume barking again.
I need to know what to do for her. Sometimes she barks so long it sounds as if her little voice get hoarse.
What can I do?
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 3:29pm PST 
How much exercise is she getting? What are you doing for mental stimulation?

Edited by author Sun Nov 18, '12 3:29pm PST

[notify]
Parsons- Pearl of- Twenty Nine- P

Spreading- Sunshine &- Sweetness, :)

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 5:24pm PST 
We have been working on come when called, which she has mastered, but we still work on. I will let her out our side door, close it, and then I will go to the back and call her. I will also be outside with her and hide behind our ourdoor storage building and call her. I have taught her to shake paws, roll over, sit for snacks or food or anything else she gets or wants. But, I will have to admit, we do not have a scheduled training session every day. She and the other pupp play vigorously through out the day, inside the house and outside the house. Running, toy tugging, and basic puppy play. I brush them every day and clean their faces. She also does not really like to be brushed, as in, she doesn't want to sit still for it. If there is ever a time she does sit still long enough for it she does seem to enjoy it. My other pup loves it so this is a new experience for me.
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 4:28pm PST 
Does she get walks or anything or is she only confined to the house and yard? Keep treating for only quiet, you said that was some what working. Try sticking with it a bit longer and see how it goes.
[notify]
Joplin Rose

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 8:15pm PST 
She has not been getting regular walks. Today we went on a walk to the lake close to our house. I worked throughout the day with treats for sits, stays, and downs. Also, she has been eating from a bowl, but my other dog eats from a puzzle. So tonight I started her on a puzzle for dinner and will just feed her wet food in a bowl. We did have a visitor today and at first she was barking non-stop but as time went on she was fine. The strange thing is she barks at her but at the same time is going up to her and licking her hand and wagging her tail.
I will continue to treat for quiet. And take more walks.

Thanks!
[notify]