GO!

Finally admitted that I needed a professional. Now everything is changing for the better!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 2:47pm PST 
I have struggled with Charlie's reactivity and behavior problems for 3 years now, always seeking advice online and trying to take everything into my own hands. Perhaps this works for some, but it obviously was not working for us. Yesterday I saw a professional trainer/behaviorist and that one meeting has changed everything, and I wanted to share our excitement with you all!

After asking a lot of questions and evaluating Charlie, we were asked what our goal was. I said "Well, it would be nice to be able to take him to the dog park". Our trainer responded with something so simple that never really occurred me. She said "I can't guarantee that. I honestly don't think Charlie WANTS to be at the dog park. I don't think Charlie likes other dogs."

I have always been angry at Charlie for not wanting friends, and frustrated that he doesn't respond well with me. Our relationship had been crumbling over the past year, and I think we are finally on the right path to fix thing. It is much easier to work with Charlie when I remember that our goal is to keep him calm and happy, rather than to make him social.

Our trainer has been wonderful, and she taught us a fun game to play with Charlie and use whenever he sees his trigger. Things are already improving rapidly! Wish us luck!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 2:53pm PST 
cheer That's great. I'm so happy for you. Hope your results keep getting better and better. cheer
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 3:41pm PST 
Charlie... for some of my clients the hardest thing in the world to teach them is that not all dogs WANT to be turned loose at a dog park!!! Hey, I understand, I DO NOT DO fun parks myself!!!!
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 3:48pm PST 
Good luck Charlie! way to go

Once i realised Missy was never going to be a social butterfly and i learnt to understand her reactivity and insecurities, that's when i began to see her in a whole different light and we have made progress over the years. Although i do intend to maybe work with another behaviourist over the next few months just to try and get some of her fears under control a little more and understand those a bit better.
[notify]