GO!

Would you still go?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 2:09pm PST 
Try being caught between two dog trainers that co-bred a litter together, both of which are my friends confused They do nothing but manipulate and trash talk each other.

Most dog trainers I have met tend to talk bad about other trainers in some way or form...they may not see what they are saying as bad, but to outsiders it is. I hear all sorts of things, but I also am one of those personalities where I hear things that people wouldn't dream of telling to others, oh joy for me (where's the vomit icon lol!).

I also am limited on my choices as where I live there aren't many choices...I either would have to go 2+ hours to just train and proof two times a week or move.

I personally go to the local people because they don't force me into certain training nor do they put me and my activities down.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:48am PST 
I find such behavior reprehensible, and I would never utilize such a so-called 'trainer.' I hope such 'trainers' are few and far between. This behavior can also be an example of "splitting" wherein the subject tries to cause divisive behavior or tries to drive a wedge between various parties.

I am continually amazed by such childish behavior on social networking sites. It's as if common courtesy has gone out the window. Of course, it seems to be the norm for teenagers these days. I don't expect it out of adults. Especially ones who consider themselves highly intelligent. I guess that doesn't run hand-in-hand with psychological health and good character, however. thinking
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 11:44am PST 
Ah....but it can also be a red herring! When a trainer is doubting or insecure with their skill, finding flaw with others? Can we say red flag?! Oh yah.
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:57pm PST 
If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle them with bull^&*%.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 1:07pm PST 
Yes, it is very true. Or talking in terminology the layperson cannot possibly be expected to understand. That is my number one pet peeve. It is insinuating you have some base of knowledge so vast, when all you know is some big words. Tertiary? I mean, come on. Who are you trying to kid?

It makes me think of a couple of friends, years gone by. Loser musicians and computer tech geeks. Every time a good looking girl was in the room, they would start talking in this impossible to understand techie jargon. You know, the "big man on campus" syndrome.

Ridiculous. If you can't explain your training with using them thar fancy words, me thinks you don't understand it all that well yourself wink

Edited by author Fri Nov 16, '12 1:08pm PST

[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 2:19pm PST 
Honestly, I don't mind technical jargon as long as the person is able to explain what it means when asked. Technical terms exist for a reason - they express an idea precisely, but quickly - but like all words they're totally useless if the person you're speaking to doesn't understand them. I guess the difference is technical words used to communicate (the trainer explains what it means, makes sure you understand, then moves to just using the term) or technical words used to make you look like an expert (the trainer rattles off a bunch of terms you've never discussed before, then just tells you to do something).

For me I guess it would depend on the type of backstabbing/name-calling that was going on. I get needing to blow off steam once in a while, but if you're trashing students in public then that's not something I'd want to be around. Unless the training was somehow crucial for me/the dog, I'd get out of there.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 3:43pm PST 
I have two things to say about this...The more I love dogs, the less I love people,
AND, I do not belong to Facebook, and this is another reason why I don't! For some reason, it is usually the adults who forget that fools names and fools faces always appear in public places.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3