GO!

Would you still go?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:53pm PST 
Hey, just curious, but would you guys go to a trainer that you like in terms of how they handle and work with their dogs but is quite mean to people behind their backs?

I mean, we all talk about people we like and don't like, but let's say this trainer stoops to name calling and the like.

They may have great skills with dogs, but you either overhear their mean side or they openly share their meanness towards others with you.

I guess, how well-rounded/professional of a trainer do you look for? What non-dog related things would make you disassociate from a trainer, if any?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 4:11pm PST 
I'd still go, it really has nothing to do with the dogs. But it might make me cautious, it shows a lack of character and maturity.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 4:34pm PST 
My experience has been that most dog people are not good people people smile. I guess it would depend on how mean she was and what my other options were! I would also be really unhappy and concerned that she would be saying mean things about me behind my back.

I've found it's best to just make it clear you do not want to be a part of any gossip.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 4:35pm PST 
If I was concerned enough to post on a forum?
No, probably not.

I'd be there for training. Not there to make friends or listen to gossip. Theres enough of that at the dog park, I wouldn't want it in a professional setting.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 4:39pm PST 
Been in that situation, still liked the trainer enough to use them (wasn't the person being talked about, but then again, who knows...)

Personal call I'd say. If it really does bother you, then look elsewhere for a trainer. People always say trainers are better with dogs than people, but that's a little screwy. They need to have SOME bedside manner if they hope to be successful. Not everyone has thick skin.

For the record, one of my favorite trainers spends no less than an hour trash talking with me when we are together about one of the first "trainers" (term used loosely) I ever took Mulder to. We both think he's nuts, personally I think he's a vicious sociopath and have no problem expressing that opinion, and if someone not "in the know" were to hear those conversations would probably think we were pretty tacky too.

Sometimes you just gotta let it out. shh

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 4:44pm PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 4:54pm PST 
Well, I do find it very odd when it does come to certain training styles.

I know a few R+ devotees who are just incredibly mean. It doesn't make any sense to me. You're such an advocate for treating dogs with kindness, yet you are so keen at being nasty to people, people who have said nothing ill of you.

Be it a simple disagreement or a different belief, they are so mean about others on such nonsense!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 5:00pm PST 
No, i wouldn't. Been around that crap far to much in my life and i wouldn't put up with it in a situation that i'm able to take control in. It's just unprofessional IMO.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 5:02pm PST 
"let's say this trainer stoops to name calling and the like.

They may have great skills with dogs, but you either overhear their mean side or they openly share their meanness towards others with you. "

No. That's a personal thing. I try to surround myself with people of character. Never say anything you would not be willing to say to a person's face. I *personally* feel a need to rake someone over the coals in a snarky way speaks to an inner insecurity.

I know with horses, it is almost always that way. The ones gaggled in the gossip fest are never the best of the best. The ones you spend ten minutes trying to extract info from?....they are always the top drawer people.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 5:03pm PST 
Agree with Tyler. Nope, I would not. And conversely, I try to be very kind to my students and if I have one who is not on board or does things that upset me, I try harder to help.

Life is too short to be surrounded by such negativity.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 7:05pm PST 
So, if the trainer you were going to posted on facebook their rantings and name callings, you wouldn't go to them?

I'd tend to agree. I don't really care what magic you can work. If you're a jerk, you won't be getting my business.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3