GO!

Share your quick tips

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:10am PST 
That's such a good one!! Paying attention to Smokey, and to the environment so I don't miss a trigger, is a constant struggle for me. I start thinking about where we're going next, should I check the mail, oh I need to call my sister back, is my water bottle in my purse? and then he's baying and jumping at a cat because I didn't notice it first. Sometimes it helps to try to give myself checkpoints, like I need to check in with him several times in the middle of locking the door, because he's in full guard dog mode when he's right outside the apartment. If he gets to the end of the leash I need to find out why, he needs my full attention near the dumpster, etc. I think it would help me to have a song to go with the dance smile
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:47pm PST 
This part I found funny - "The most useful thing I've found is talking to my dog constantly, even when we're not actively training" because I'm constantly talking to the dogs laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

My own advice would be not to overstress on perfection and be okay with good enough. Ace will never be a perfect dog because I'm not a perfect owner. And that's okay. She does a lot of things right, and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. The rest of her weirdness I can deal with.

But, she's just here for companionship. Working dogs, obviously, different issue.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:18pm PST 
To get out the front door when nobody is home to help me hold the dogs when I leave the house we play "Toss the Cookies", I get a handful of small treats and toss them to the farthest point of the kitchen from the front door. Toss cookies and haul it out the door while dawgs munch. Good because now they know whats coming and stand in the kitchen waiting patiently instead of trying to take down the front door ahead of me.snoopysnoopy
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2