GO!

3-legged dog on a leash

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jettsen - Adoptable

Looking for- love!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 2:10pm PST 
This is my foster dog Jettsen, obviously he only has three legs. I'm trying to decided what to do with him on a leash. thinking

He needs walks, he needs it both physically & mentally as I'm working on his fears as well. Cars & strangers being the main two.

He pulls but I feel like he's pulling because a faster pace is easier for him. When he runs in the yard there's like no limp. When he walks it's a bouncing movement.

He also weaves back and forth, which I believe is him trying to not pull and still have more movement in less space making it easier on him.

I feel like the pulling & weaving are going to make him look less appealing to a new home but at the same time I don't know if I want to slow him down even more which would just make walking harder for him.

I did try putting him at my side and walking slowly to see if he got it. He'd stand until he felt the end of leash, bounce up just past me, wait for the end of the leash again & bounce up past me ect.

Anyone have any ideas? Or is this something I should just leave alone, a quirk of his condition.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 6:54pm PST 
Looks like this is new to him? Being three legged?

One thought-although dogs do adapt very well, it can take practice. The other is that he needs time to build those back muscles in his leg that is still there. Once they are stronger they will be able to handle a controlled slower movement easier.

Someone I know fostering a 3 legged coonie found a Ruffwear style harness a lot easier on their dog. It spreads out the "pull" much better. Their 3-legger was being thrown off balance trying to walk with a collar. Sometimes she couldn't quite keep up, or would go a little fast, then the pull of the collar would actually make it worse and she'd have to try to over-correct.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:51am PST 
Thanks B&D, yes it's new to him. He had a broken leg when he was found so we don't know how long it was broken for. He wasn't using the leg so he's used to walking on three legs but he's used to carrying the dead weight of the broken leg.

I doubt the rescue is going to buy him a harness so I'll just suggest that to his new family when he gets adopted.

I think I'll just let him be for now and see how he develops, you may be right that he's still adjusting.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 8:05am PST 
Maybe get a long line for him? If he had 30 feet to roam he might get more used to keeping his momentum & not do the stop/start thing? When he nears the end of the long line, call him back to you. That way he won't get the jerk at the end of his limit? Once he's used to it you can shorten it again to refine the LLW.
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 9:24am PST 
Maddox is also a three legger. He also weaves and such on a leash, IF I don't have treats. One of the first things I taught him was "by me" and to sit in heel. Bring treats. It will give both a mental and physical workout, which will wear him out faster, actually. And let me just say, for the right person, they're going to totally look past the tripod part, and fall in love with the sweet, super dog you've got on the end of that leash.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 10:49am PST 
Yay!! A fellow 3-legger! I always have treats with us on walks because Jettsen has fears I'm working on. I've been using a "touch" command to re-direct his attention when we run into something he's scared of and I've been asking for a sit as well to build up the distraction. But he still shoots to the end of the leash as soon as we're done. I'm pretty sure he's never been on a leash before so in that case he's been doing really well!! I'll keep working on him.
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 2:00pm PST 
Maddox did a bunch of leash pulling the first bit I had him, but now he's doing much better. Between the self restraint he's learning and the strength he's building in his other legs he is now able to do much more, one of those things being walk better on a leash. Time and patience will eventually get to him. Good luck!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 2:10am PST 
Hi Jettsen, yes, I can understand that sometimes walking with a three legged dog on a leash can result challenging and become a daunting task. For many dogs, it’s easier to walk at a faster pace but they can face difficulty in making quick or sharp turns. And because of their unequal balance, they are prone to falling down too. With regards to it, a harness can provide a full support but the best thing one can perform is to take short walks and taking time to time rest. dog
[notify]