GO!

Reactive Dog Support Thread

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 62)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Jib

extrovert- extraordinaire!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 2:42pm PST 
Does anyone have advice for me - I have a dog who LOVES other dogs so much that he can't be off leash anywhere because he will just dash off looking for other dogs to sniff and play with, and won't come to me if there is another dog anywhere in his hearing range? And he seems to have little interest in being polite with dogs who don't really want a small fox terrier rushing up and licking their mouths, and sniffing all over. He is not at all aggressive with these dogs, and is so over the top friendly that I have to hold him back from dogs whose owners say their dogs are not friendly. I of course have gotten pretty good at figuring out which dogs are shy and won't want that greeting, but it would be easier if I could get him to be a little less excited by every single other dog. The upside of this is that he loves to go to his boarding kennel which allows dogs to have play time together in supervised groups. thanks.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 11:18pm PST 
For awhile I've felt like things have stagnated with Smokey- I've been relying on management and off leash playtime and not working on reactive issues much, so I'm happy to say that I've been glimpsing the light at the end of the tunnel in the past few days. I'm reading click to calm, and after having more or less given up on him ever being under control around our apartment complex (dozens of stray cats, lots of other dogs, bikes, skateboards, traffic noise, etc, etc), I tried some responding to leash pressure practice indoors (a la Kikopup) and have been heading out with a clicker and a baggie of little pieces of sausage this week. Two days, he's been calm enough to take treats for an ENTIRE potty break walk. Today, he was paying more attention to me than the environment. HALLELUJAH!!! I wasn't too confident about my ability to explain to my real life friends why this development makes me want to weep with joy, so I thought I'd come here and tell you guys. dog walkdog walk
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 62)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7