GO!

Help.. My dog attacks unneutered male dogs.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 3:15pm PST 
I have a 2 year old mutt named Denzel; he is a very social dog..loves to play with his friends. Goes to the beach, hikes, dog parks, walks etc.. But I have a huge problem.. He does not like unneutered male dogs. As soon as he sniffs them and realizes they still have testicles.. he goes for the kill..frown He is a 35lb dog, but very very strong for his size. I've talk to trainers about it and nobody seems to know how to correct the issue.

I've been told is a dominance thing and very common.. I want to know HOW TO CORRECT HIM. I've used a shock collar and it didnt work..

Here in Los Angeles is a law to fix your dog.. seems like not everybody understands this law... I am tired of arguing with people about it and fighting with people.. I did the right thing by fixing mine but yet I still get the blame.. All I want is help with MY dog.. I do not want him to hurt any dog, but when he goes into that state of mind... I lose ALL control over him. I know I am doing something wrong, I just dont know what.. PLEASE HELP.. thank you for your time everybody wink
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 3:45pm PST 
If you're being serious when you say he "goes for the kill", you are implying that your dog is actually dangerous/vicious. Therefore, it is your responsibility to muzzle your dog when you're around other dogs, even though the law says they must spay/neuter. I would NOT bring your dog around other dogs without a muzzle on, and I would contact a qualified behaviorist (not a trainer) immediately, because your dog could seriously hurt or kill another dog otherwise.

Edited by author Thu Sep 13, '12 3:46pm PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 3:55pm PST 
I live in LA too and have an intact dog - the city law is that dogs which are documented to be actively shown, compete, work (K9, SD, etc) and/or have health problems barring it, are exempt from it. One does have to secure a separate license for it, though.

Your dog having problems with a specific subset of dogs is just like any other dog which has problems with any other group of dogs.. you as the owner have to manage it. Maybe it means not going to off leash places except during off-hours.

It might be wise to invest in a nicely fitted muzzle to cover your bases, too.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:05pm PST 
He has never hurt a dog, I am ALWAYS on the look out when it comes to the dog park. I see testicles and I either walk away with him, or get him on a leash. What I mean by "goes for the kill" is that he means business, His ears go up, chest goes up and gets into that mindset. I am now very quick and 98% we avoid an altercation.. but that 2% is enough for me to know I need help..
Muzzle is not an option because it is not with ALL dogs, its just those few that we see from time to time.. As a dog owner and lover, I know I must have control over him at all times.. and I've lost it..

Point is, I would like to know who to control him and what to do BEFORE he goes into that mindset.
[notify]
Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy- Dog

Where did mom- go?

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:10pm PST 
My dog does not like unaltered males either, and I have yet to find a solution where he doesn't react at all. He does not attack though. He follows them around and tries to dominate, which then causes the other dog to get defensive and a fight ensues.

I have gotten him to ignore most dogs by desensitization. If we see a unaltered dog I put him on a leash and tell him to leave it and walk to the opposite end. If he still tries to approach the dog we leave. I have to be responisble for him and the best thing to do is to usually leave the area.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:12pm PST 
Lilith, I've tried going after hours and its the same issue. The park where I take him does not allow intact dogs males or females..

I really really dont want to use a muzzle.. might be selfish on my part, but I know I can help him with this issue. But I havent found the right person.

I also think it has to do with the territory, we've been going to this park for 2 years now.. could it be because its his ground?
When I take him to the beach and an intact dog comes around, he can careless!
All he cares about is the water and digging his way to china.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:18pm PST 
Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy- Dog

I do the same thing, either get him on a leash or try to get his attention by playing with him.. I just want to be ok with him at all times..
to me he is not an aggressive dog, I could be in denial :/ .. I just know there is something I can do to help him with the issue.

Thanks for your time!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:29pm PST 
As owner of an intact dog, who has been bullied and attacked numerous times, I don't like that you're using "My dog doesn't like un-neutered dogs" as an excuse.
When Nare gets attacked, the owner asks if he is neutered, if I say no "Oh he doesn't like intact dogs.".. If say yes (It's easier to not get a lecture) then its "He doesn't like puppies" "He isn't feeling well today" "He isn't good on leash" "He was attacked by a GSD as a puppy" Blah blah blah.. Then they walk on by and their dog leaps on another dog. Really, what happened is their dog was probably attacked as a puppy and they heard the same excuses and now it is just the norm.

Your dog is reactive to other dogs. Period. Just because it has only happened with intact dogs doesn't mean that he doesn't have the potential to go after a neutered dog. If you'd wish to work on his quirk, a Behaviorist is the next step. Management is ok too, or if you'd like to go your own route, I'd greatly recommend a muzzle.. They are not bad, and if introduced properly, are a great training aid..

Also, what to do before he gets into that mindset: Don't let it happen.

At 2 years old Denzel doesn't really need to play with strange unknown dogs.. We stopped going to dog parks with Nare at about 2 years, he still gets weekly playdates with friends and goes to the park.

Edited by author Thu Sep 13, '12 4:31pm PST

[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:39pm PST 
I agree that you need to seek the help of a qualified behaviourist, not a trainer.

I don't think you need to resort to using a muzzle if that's not what you wish as long as you remain on guard and are able to keep him on lead around intact males. My Missy is DA/reactive and i've never used a muzzle on her either.

My best advice would be to avoid areas where you're likely to come across loose dogs for the time being, while you contact a behaviourist and get more advice and guidance on Denzel's behaviour.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:49pm PST 
Nare's owner.. I agree with you.. I was one of those owners.. "your dog has balls, well you shouldn’t be here" that was me.. People can do what they want with their pets.. fix them, dont .. its your dog..
I am totally out of that state of mind.. Fix or not Fix my dog shouldn’t go after ANY DOG.. so trust me I agree with you.. the times my dog attacked, I always apologize because as a dog lover, I hate to see a dog get hurt.. SPECIALLY BY MINE..

However.. My dog is not reactive to all dogs... It is just intact males.. TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THIS.. If I had an issue with all dogs, I wouldn’t even take him to parks or the beach or hikes..

your time is greatly appreciated, But the point of this post was to get some type of advice on how to handle the situation.

Missy.. a specials will be my next step.. I just need to find the right one big grin
Thank you everybody! wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4