GO!

German Shepherd and boyfriend...pee on a tree!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Roxy

Reaaadddyy..seee- ttt.. G---OH A- BIRD!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 2:58pm PST 
I can't help but ask because this has become funny to watch personally, but we have a 1 year old German Shepherd and he still squats to pee. My boyfriend wants him to lift his leg like other dogs because he says he looks like a girl when he pees! I laughed a little about it before but now we've got some desperation going on. When he brings him outside he guides him to a tree and physically lifts his leg for him, and he pees on command. When Mark lets go after he finishes, praises him, not even 2 secs later he is squatting to finish the deed! I honestly can't help but laugh at my boyfriend because he's so desperate...and he is SOOO determined. Don't dogs just eventually lift their leg(males)? All my male dogs i've ever had lifted their leg at some point. Or should he be doing what he's doing now? I still find this subject funny...it's just ammusing to picture him outside w/ Warrior..male bonding foooooorr sure!
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 3:05pm PST 
In my experience, leg lifting is more of a learned behaviour than a "natural" one.
I actually witnessed Rigby (a female) lift her leg today after watching Cobain do it.

So if your boyfriend is really stuck on the issue, maybe having the pup around more leg-lifting males may do the trick?
[notify]
Roxy

Reaaadddyy..seee- ttt.. G---OH A- BIRD!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 3:54pm PST 
Maybe, he blames Roxy since she is a female lol. Says he squats because he watches her. It's just the funniest thing to watch him lifting Warrior's leg for him every time he goes, im hoping he starts doing it on his own. Mark wants him to be "manly" and the fact that he's been in the military just makes the desperation worse, everything is a military command in this house! lol >.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 5:11pm PST 
I think he should just suck it up and get over it, lol. Not every male dog lifts their legs. Charlie doesn't half the time and he does the other half of the time but it took a few years before he even started. This is a one year old Shepherd - he may start after he hits physical maturity, he may not. Depends on the individual dog. Often leg lifting is associated more often with marking - not necessarily a behavior to be encouraged. Charlie only lifts his leg to mark things, and squats in his own yard. Your shepherd probably doesn't feel the need to mark things, especially at his age.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 5:52pm PST 
I think Kody stood straight up and peed all over his feet, like a racehorse, until he was about a year. I'm pretty sure he finally learned from other male dogs at the dog park. People would comment on it, and I would blush and say no one ever taught him how to lift his leg.
[notify]
Bello

Herr Bello ist- nicht ein- Mensch!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:29pm PST 
My Nana says her dog never lifts his leg to pee on anything and he's a little over a year old. I laugh because everytime I walk him with Brittany and Bello. He DOES lift his leg. Because Bello is there to influence him. So if you want Warrior to lift his leg, going to need another male dog probably. ;D It helps that Blitzen idolizes Bello.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:38pm PST 
I have to agree it is a learned behavior as well but in my case it was Mika,Kai's bossy older sister that taught him how to do it while walking in the neighborhood. She was the first female I had ever seen do that but that's a dominant,bossy akita girl for ya!

I think that has to be a very amusing sight,I wonder does your boyfriend have so macho issues that he needs to live out through the dog?big laugh

I know alot of men who refuse to have their male dogs neutered because it seems to threaten their own macsulinity.thinking
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:02pm PST 
It could also be he's uncomfortable twisting his back to lift his leg--a lot of GSDs have hip issues, so maybe it's more comfortable to squat . . .

Just let your dog do things his way and maybe get your BF some counseling about transferring his security in his manhood to how a dog pees! laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 8:06pm PST 
Ha ha, maybe he should be happy with what he has! My dog is so obsessed with leg lifting he even does it to poop and sometimes it runs down his leg. silenced Tell him he should be careful what he wishes for! laugh out loud
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 8:27pm PST 
I'd be worried that so much fussing when he is trying to pee could stress him right out and make him start holding it or refusing to pee when your BF is nearby...just something to keep in mind!

I'd rather have a male that squats than one that pees all over his front feet and legs!

JT, my SIL has a dog that poops like that...apparently it is quite the sight! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4