GO!

Your preferred leash length

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 8:50am PST 
I have just discovered 6' leashes and love them! Prior to this discovery I have always used a 4' leash, thinking I would have more control, but the funny thing is Oscar seems to walk better and checks in with me more when there is more slack in the leash. Go figure!
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 11:21am PST 
I have two 6' leather leashes that I use on Sita & dogs that I walk. I bought a 8' over the should leash thinking I would use it for Sita when working in public, but I've been using it on Tia, since she's so low to the ground lol. I love having the length to let the dogs explore on leash but being able to bring them in close if needed.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 11:30am PST 
I use 6 foot leashes. Having smaller dogs, it gives them more room with the ability to walk loose leashed, the 4 foot leashes dont do that for us.
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 11:34am PST 
Depends on which dog and what we're doing. wink

I've got 4, 5, 5.5 and 6. 5.5 is probably my favorite but it's the softest leather and beautifully made. The 6 is from the same people but doesn't get as much use but we're getting there.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 11:40am PST 
I chuckled, because after always using a 6' leash, I just got a glorious, padded 4' Kong with a traffic handle, and I cannot even tell you how much I love it. To each his own smile
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 11:42am PST 
Totally depends. If we're walking on the road or in an area with a decent amount of people, I like the 6 ft. If we're walking in an area where there's some room to explore, but also highly likely to run into people, then I like his 6+ ft bungee line...not sure what it extends too.

And if we're out in the middle of nowhere, I like the 15 ft long line.

I couldn't imagine using a 4 ft leash with Sanka though. He'd drag me into all sorts of stuff!

I do have a 50 ft long line. I used that for open grassy areas when Kato was at his rebellious teenage stage. Definitely A LOT of line though. Anywhere else and it'd be a tangled mess.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 1:28pm PST 
I'm with Zephyr... it kinda depends on what dog and what I'm doing. My stock dogs mostly are off lead but I use both a four foot and six foot flat lead for regular walking. For puppies I have a 25 foot and I think a 15 foot cotton line as well as a 60 foot line for bigger pups (that is actually a horse line).. When working my service dog I mostly use my 8 foot police lead I actually have four of those in different weights, three in leather and one in nylon.

I actually Hate nylon leads as a rule and almost Always prefer leather (love for my leerburg leather leads). though my 'training' lead for all of my dogs is a 6 foot nylon lead that's well over 20 years old and Used to be hot pink but now is a pale tan color and soft as the softest cotton.

To add to that, I also have several traffic leads, normally 12-18 inches long, a couple of drag tabs, most are thin 'yorkie' leads that I've chopped shorter so they don't drag but I can grab them if needed while training. I have two five foot agility slip leads for each of my cars for 'emergencies'.

Edited by author Tue Apr 17, '12 1:33pm PST

[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 1:43pm PST 
I used to always use the 6 foot leashes, I just liked the feel and slack of them better. However a while ago I got a "multi-purpose" leash and I like it even better. The leash has a clasp inside the handle and then several O-rings along the length to clip it to. I sometimes wish it was 6 feet though, it's 7 when used at full length and that's a bit much for me because it sometimes will drag on the ground. Most of the time though I use it over my shoulder, which leaves my dog about 3 feet of leash. Normally this would feel way too short if I was holding it in my hand, but with the leash hanging from my hip it somehow works well at this length, and it leaves my hands free. It can also be attached to my waist which gives the dog more length but I usually find over the shoulder more comfortable. I had them put the O-rings at custom length so it would fit perfectly over my shoulder/around my waist. They also put in a "floating" O-ring between the waist and shoulder ones because I wanted something I could use around my waist when I'm wearing a big bulky winter coat.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 2:04pm PST 
I like the 5'. I've been using a 6' because it's nice and thin, I'd like to find a thin 5' one. A 4' one spends it's lenght just getting down to Jewel. laugh out loud
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 4:10pm PST 
For Grunt I use the 6' lead when we're in town. The 16' flex when we're at home. Darcy uses a 6' when we go out and a 10' when we walk - no retracting leads for her. big grin My biggest thing is the clip, I like a small clip on my leads - no matter what the size...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4