GO!

sniffing is a "highly aggressive" move!??

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:54pm PST 
I'm a little shocked, to be honest.

Not only is it NOT aggressive, but agree that it is VERY rude..

To suggest or ask if a PERSON has an infection or medical problem is not any of your business and incredibly nosy and rude.

To talk about their dogs is different, but how a person reacts to this suggestion or question will depend on whether or not the person in question is okay with people doing so.

I would call Dandy off, or not allow this behavior AT ALL with dog or person.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 11:37am PST 
I have a dog that can be an intrusive sniffer with people. It can be really annoying.

If I'm concerned that she is going to be rude, then I will keep her on a leash. If we have friends over, then she is sent to her bed or drags a leash until I am confident that she can be polite. I make sure to reward calm, appropriate behaviour and I do my best to not give her the opportunity to sniff like that.

It wouldn't even occur to me to ask someone if they have a medical issue because my dog is sniffing rudely...I know that I would be really offended if someone were to ask me this (as far as I'm concerned, there really is no tactful or polite way to bring this up).
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 12:55pm PST 
Anybody who is has a muzzled rambunctious pooch is probably the last person to have valid advice on anything...thinking
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:26pm PST 
You did say the dog's owner didn't take it well, right and he got offended? Well he probably just made that up because he didn't like what you were saying about his dog. Either way, the stuff he said wasn't true.

Dogs sniff other people to get to know them closely. It's completely natural and it's definitely not a "highly aggressive" behavior like he claimed it to be. Besides, do dogs even know what a carotid is?laugh out loud
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:53pm PST 
It sounds like this guy tried to research a bunch of aggressive behavior online once his dog began to be aggression- like most people do and read some stupid article on how if a dog sniffs your feet he's stalking you. It's all about body language. If your dog is stiff/ reacts negatively to being pushed away from the crotch area- then he may be correct (although not to the degree he's expressing). Train your dog to stop sniffing so excessively on command (like the "leave it" command) because while I don't think that excessive sniffing is aggressive, it sure can be annoying. Especially when the owner can't contain their dog.
He's probably just butthurt that his dog has to be muzzled in public, and he's seeing something that your dog does as aggressive based on false/misinterpreted information he read about dog behavior on the internet.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3