GO!

Would your dog Pass the Canine good Citizen test?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 11 of 11: Viewing entries 101 to 108)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 10:13pm PST 
We've successfully practiced all the components of the test in our obedience class, so I expect him to pass when I finally get around to taking it with him.
[notify]
Cromm- Crúai- ch CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 8:23am PST 
We passed the CGC when my (now not so little) guy was only 13 weeks. We rocked it. Puberty hit and now we wouldn't be able to pass the stranger handling part if our lives depended on it.

Common for the breed. Socialized the crud out of him as a dog. Funny how things like that go.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:02am PST 
Depends on which dog. All of them but Rolo would have done better preadolescence -- I didn't know Rolo then. He wouldn't pass the stranger test.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:28am PST 
It's actually always been kind of strange to me that there's no age minimum on the CGC. The ATTS Temperament Test requires the dog be at least 18 months before taking the test, which makes a lot more sense to me considering how much dogs change through puppyhood and adolescence.

Then again, I think some aspects of the CGC are biased against certain breeds, so maybe you're supposed to take it with those breeds when they're puppies rather than adults? shrug
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:43am PST 
I think that's a very good point, Onyx. Not all dogs are supposed to be happy dappy slappy over other strange dogs or over strange humans.thinking
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:56am PST 
I see I posted here during our training. Erm, yeah, we never took it! Ty completely shut down at that club and I've never gotten around to taking him elsewhere.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 9:53am PST 
More than most things, I would love to slowly adjust Charlie to actually be able to pass this... but I'm beginning to feel like it'll never be possible. He is shy with strangers and likes to greet people on his own time (often backs away when people approach him), and even with a lot of time and money I cannot make him enjoy the presence of some dogs.

Oh well. He'll always be a good boy in my book.
[notify]
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 11:15am PST 
We would not pass.
3.Allow a stranger to handle him or her as a groomer, or veterinarian would. - Not likely. Someone touching her back, sides, legs, neck and chest would be fine, but if they tried touching her face like a vet would she moves her head.
4. Walk Nicely on a loose lead. - No. This is not something we've mastered yet, much to my embarrassment.
6. Sit and down on command, then stay in a sit or down position while you walk away. - No. Formerly she could, but we've let the 'stay' portion of her training slide.
8. Casually greet another dog - No, she pulls on leash and will bounce around like a ninny

She would rock the recall portion though.
[notify]
  (Page 11 of 11: Viewing entries 101 to 108)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11