GO!

electric fence help!!!I'm

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 78)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 4:08pm PST 
How does a dog know its getting a 'substitute'?

Unless you take a dog out and do one of the things you mentioned... how does it know that retrieving a ball is any less rewarding than retrieving a bird?

Its like eating a home-grown peach, and eating a store bought one. You could live your ENTIRE life thinking store peaches are delicious, never knowing that a freshly plucked, in-season peach is the most delicious thing in the world.

My point being, I don't think a dog that was brought up in an environment different than that which it was bred for is a tragedy. Its not like the dog knows what its missing out on. Provided you actually stimulate it in appropriate ways, or 'substitute', as you put it, I don't think there is any reason said dog can't be perfectly happy.

Its not as if you have this Collie that's been herding sheep its whole life, then you suddenly move to the city where he only gets one walk a day. In such a case... yes, I can imagine the dog would be quite miserable.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 4:18pm PST 
Mulder, anyone that's ever owned a dog that's been allowed to function as it was intended could answer that question. Throw a tennis ball for Trigger and he goes bonkers alright, but drop a quail from the sky and he just gets this gleam in his eyes. There is extra umph in his efforts, drive in his run, and pride in his eyes when he brings it back to me. He praces around afterward so pleased with himself, chest puffed out like he's just ready to burst.

My weim was the same way. I could play with a flirt pole with her in the yard and she'd get birdie on it but when we were out in the field and she spotted a grouse the intensity in her eyes was...I can't even describe it. She'd salivate and shake. I could literally feel the energy radiating off of her as crazy as that might sound to some of you.

Just as a dog will herd, even as a small puppy with no direction or training to do so, and retrieve with no direction or training to do so, and protect with no direction or training to do so, I believe they just know. That they sense a difference. They know in their heart of hearts what's real and what's set up to try to fill the hole when real can't be entertained. I know a dog will take advantage of that set up to try to fill that hole, and I'm not saying they can't enjoy it to an extent, but like I said earlier, anyone that's had a dog that's had the opportunity to indulge their roots, the core of who that dog is with no outside influence, will tell you there's a profound difference and they do indeed know.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 4:42pm PST 
"Can dogs survive on "substitutes?" Sure. By substitues I mean taking a Chessie swimming in a yard pool instead of hunting waterfowl in a pond, running a Weim on a treadmill instead of in a field, having a retriever fetch a tennis ball instead of a bird, letting a small terrier play with a flirt pole instead of ratting etc.

I question though how happy they can truely be with those substitutes. "

That is a very warped opinion you have Trigger.
A dog who was bred by a puppymill, lands in a shelter, waits depending on whether a high kill, kill or no kill shelter, maybe gets taken in by a rescue, then finally given a forever home.....would NOT be happy swimming in a yard pool over a pond, lake or ocean??????

Does EVERY lab need to be taken duck hunting in order for the lab to be truely "happy"?

Does every greyhound need to race?

Does every husky need to pull a sleigh in alaska?

You see in absolutes. No a weinerweimer (hopefully i spelled that right) should not be ONLY ran on a treadmill. they like every dog need daily walks outside.

Edited by author Tue Aug 11, '09 4:47pm PST

[notify]

Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:04pm PST 
I completelly agree with Jessica and I think Mulder made a good point.

What I don't get is, how can you say that a dog should be used to fulfill its true or original purpose to live a fullfilled life, yet it is ok to achieve this with shock collar training, which to me is so far away from anything that respects the true and profound nature of dogs, of any dog (I believe in working with their drives and motivations). I'm confused...

shrug
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:35pm PST 
Ok, my last question, then, is this... what do we do with breeds that were designed to do things that are no longer socially acceptable?

Like Staffies and other bully breeds? As modern, moral human beings, we can't be expected to go out and throw one of these dogs in the ring with a bull, just so it can live up to its heritage.

So what do we do with them?
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 5:37pm PST 
Last I heard they adapted just fine, they were the all time favorite breed of the American family, what like in the 50's? smile
[notify]
Mocha

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 7:17am PST 
Put up a real fence along with a real electric fence wire about 6 inches above the ground and a few inches inside the fence line. After some research that is what my owner did. The wire along the fence keeps me and my two buddies from digging under the fence. It is attached to a battery powered, low voltage electric fence controller. The regular fence keeps us from going out of our 1 acre play area around the house. Used to have another friend, Chai, who was an Aussie mix that would go over the 4 ft fence. So, if she was still here, my owner would probably need to install another electric fence wire at the top of the physical fence (chain link). But, unfortunately, she got out, got hit by a car are was killed, over a year ago. That fence wire bites me sometimes but I stay away from it as much as I can. However, I still run along the fence for exercise. One of my dog buddies, Lola, a Springer, does not like it though and stays away from the fence now. My other buddy, Havick, a pit mix, does not seem to mind it as he walks along beside the fence. But then he is pretty mellow and puts up with a lot from us.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 8:00am PST 
This post is over four years old!
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 8: Viewing entries 71 to 78)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8