GO!

electric fence help!!!I'm

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Leela

Let's Pl ay!!! - (then eat...)

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 11:30am PST 
I'm not a huge fan of electric fences, but it's what we have and we live on a busy road. My first dog had no problem with it and respects the boundaries fantastically.

The problem is with Leela... She is only 8 months old, weighs 75 pounds and is a lab mix. She has no desire to leave the yard. She never tries to actually go through the fence for things that are outside. She will wonder around the yard and end up in the zapping zone, and just stand there for over a minute. She will see a neighbor that she loves and she will try to get closer to his house by standing in the zap zone.
The zaps don't bother her at all. When she is getting zapped she will still wag her tail or sit down. She will eventually start to itch her side because it seems to "annoy" her. The pet fence dealer has turned up the collar to the highest it goes, and I don't want to get the super powerful one that he recommended because she is still so young.

Please help me with ideas!!!
Both my dogs get along great and it's not because she doesn't want to be with my other dog.
[notify]
Taz - cgc tdi

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 11:34am PST 
I'm not sure putting up a good fence is an option, but that would be my first choice. I really don't like invisible fences for the very reasons your having problems, but they do work for some people. I would suggest finding a good trainer in your area and work some boundary training around your lot line or where ever your invisible fence is.
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 11:40am PST 
Hi Leela, go out there with your pup. When she sits on the zap line, direct her back, say Sit, then treat. Help her to see she can still be in on the action, but doesn't have to sit right on the line.

I have a friend who had the strongest electric fence for her Bullmastiff. She thought it was working till one day she was chatting with her neighbor and looked down only to find her dogs collar repeatedly blinking as she sat. Apparently she had no issue with getting zapped either.
[notify]

Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 12:10pm PST 
shock

Has she undergone the training that teaches her what the zaps mean? I don't know a lot about invisible fence training, but I do know that the dog has to be taught what the zap means. I mean, they know it's uncomfortable, but they don't necessarily know what to do in response to it. Maybe she thinks sitting, laying down, scratching is what makes the zaps go away?

To be honest, I'm a little surprised your trainer has an 8 month old puppy using an e-collar to begin with. And on the highest setting?! I always thought a dog had to be older- an adult.
[notify]
Biscuit

I'm a little- Maltzu!

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 12:16pm PST 
GET A FENCE! To me an electric fence is basically animal abuse! Especially if it does not phase the dog, that means it gets shocked so many times it doesn't even notice. It can cause brain damage, death, and many other horrible things. Especially in PUPPIES!
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 1:31pm PST 
Biscuit, I'm not disagreeing with you, but do you have any links to hardcore information to back up your claim? I've heard that it causes damage before but never actually been able to find any info on it for my resources. Thanks!
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 1:37pm PST 
Thank you Sherpa, I was wondering the same. Brain damage and death?
[notify]
Taz - cgc tdi

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 1:41pm PST 
Like I said, not a big fan of the invisible fence, but I've never heard of them causing death before. I suppose if the dog gets out he could be hit by a car, but I doubt highly the collar is going to kill.

Edited by author Mon Jun 29, '09 1:42pm PST

[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 1:53pm PST 
I think it is not uncommon for labs to go straight through invisible fences. Our neighbor's 16 year old lab has to be tied up with a long line because she'll shuffle arthritically right through the invisible fence. You might consider alternate forms of confinement.
[notify]
Bandit

Life is GOOD:)

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 2:13pm PST 
I remember another forum on DOgster about this but I can't find it. shrug But I remember an answer that someone gave. They put up those little flags that are used to line out plumbing lines in the ground and other utility lines underground. The flags are on a little stake like 6 inches long and the flags themselves are orange and 3x3 inches. You could go to Homedepot and get some of those and teach your dog if he passes those flags he is going to get shocked. It is the best idea I can come up with for you. Make something so she can see the bounderies.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8