GO!

Flirt pole

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 6:34am PST 
Anyone got simple instructions on making one?
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 6:39am PST 
Nick has some great info on making a homemade flirt pole.
Marlo

I'm A Good Dog,- I Just Do Bad- Things

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 6:48am PST 
Oh boy oh boy it's so much fun. Marlo loves his flirt pole more than pretty much ANYTHING.

Easy peasy. All you need is some PVC pipe (about 6 feet I found works good), two washers the width of the pipe, some sturdy rope, and a fun toy. I really like the Skineez toys (the long stuffies with no stuffing in them, but really you can use ANYTHING the dog likes to chase).

Just thread the rope through the tube, and tie a secure knot outside the washer. Tie another knot at the other end outside the other washer so your rope is secure. You might have to test out the length of rope that you like outside the pipe to see which works the best for your dog. Then tie your toy to the end of the rope!

I also like to cover the outside of the pipe with duct tape or electrical tape for better grip (and purty colours).

Ta da! All done.
[notify]

Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 11:03am PST 
Nick mentioned 21 feet of cord and 7 feet of PCV pipe. I don't remember any washers. I made Moira an indoor one with 5 ft of pipe and 15 ft of pretty pink cord. I ended up shortening it to 4 and 12. She isn't very big and I was doing too much damage, even with the catheral ceiling in the living room. I forgot how much hangs from the ceiling. She loves it. The nine year old boy I tutor uses it with Moira after his lesson. It's a great motivator. He really gets her going. His reaction time may be better than mine.

I do have to let her catch the toy occasionally. She is easily bored and needs to be successful to keep playing. BTW, I just saw those Skineez for the first time. Interesting!
[notify]
Little Girl

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 11:15am PST 
Here's another idea. Get a fishing pole and reel. You could string some heavy line or thin rope on the reel and then a toy at the end of the line. I like this better then the pvc cause I could cast it out further in the yard and make them really run for it.
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 11:17am PST 
OK - Stupid question....What's a flirt pole?
Whatever it is, it sounds like fun and I want one!
[notify]
Nick, CGC, WETX

I like wet, fowl- smelling things

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 11:19am PST 
Flirt Pole

It is a very useful tool because you won't get tired out while you can have your dog running and burning energy! You can make one very cheaply.

Get a 6-7 ft piece of 3/4" pvc pipe from Home Depot (should be about $2.00) and about 20 ft of thick nylon cord. Tie a big knot in one end of the cord so it can't slip through the pipe and feed the other end through the pipe. Now tie a toy, something big or weird like a stuffed animal (a tennis ball can work well too), to the end of the cord (the end without the knot in it).

Hold the pipe toward the bottom with both hands and swing it around. You will see the toy whips out kind of like casting with a fishing rod. Practice with it a little but you will find that you can pull it along the ground fast, change directions and make it hop in the air. Your motion will be like waving a flag pole.

Now bring your dog out and let him sniff the toy. Drag it along just out of his reach to get him interested, he'll go after it. If he's totally reluctant to investigate it rub treats on it or a little peanut butter. After he's interested pull it away faster and faster. The beauty of the pole is that you can generate a lot of speed, much more than if you were just pulling the cord or running with it and you won't get tired. Keep the toy moving a long the ground at first. In the beginning your dog may not like it if you pull it too hard to change direction and it flies over their head so build up to that.

In the beginning let him "catch" the toy often to build his interest and confidence. He will want to keep playing. It is a great way to burn energy; build prey/toy drive and confidence in your dog.

I don't think you need to use any washers, but as Moira says you can modify the size by using a shorter piece of PVC pipe and/or shorter length of rope. Nick is large and fast and we play outside only so the dimensions I gave are tailored to him.

Also the weight of the item you attach to the end will have an effect on the effort you need to use. If it's a long rope and a light item you will need to use a lot more strength than a slightly heavier/bigger item. For instance Nick's pole works better with a big stuffed bird on the end rather than a tennis ball.

Have fun!

Edited by author Fri Jan 23, '09 11:20am PST

[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 11:29am PST 
Michigan

It's Winter here in Michigan
And the gentle breezes blow,
Seventy miles an hour
At twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love Michigan
When the snow is up to your butt.
You take a breath of Winter
And your nose freezes shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave my Michigan
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!
Author unknown

Nick, make that 'Snow ABOVE your bu**" and you'll understand why we play indoors. I walk the dogs on cleared roads - they can run the snowbanks if they wish, but I try not to walk in the stuff above my waist.
[notify]
Nick, CGC, WETX

I like wet, fowl- smelling things

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 11:42am PST 
Hey Moira, when I first read that I chuckled only because I had visions of Nick and I destroying the house while my wife was out shopping. According to her, the only time Nick can't be left alone at home is when I'm with him (if that makes any sense), lol!

Edited by author Fri Jan 23, '09 11:44am PST

[notify]
Rally Pood

Hand over the- treats'n nobody- gets hurt!

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 11:45am PST 
I found the PVC flirt pole to be a bit much for my little dogs, and even for me to be swinging around in the yard in front of the neighbors with the big dogs. I now use a horse lunge whip with a toy tied to the end and they love it even more.

Edited by author Fri Jan 23, '09 11:46am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4