GO!

board and train

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Jun 30, '06 4:47am PST 
Has anyone heard of Darnfar Ranch and Training facility? They have a board and train that seems excellent. I can't find any reviews on it though. I talked to her and she said that she doesn't have the time to get CGC certified. Does that seem weird to you?

www.darnfar.com
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Fri Jun 30, '06 4:50am PST 
Yes, that seems weird - you're talking about Canine Good Citizen, right? That's not exactly rigorous or difficult training - just practise on some basic manners.
[notify]
Khola- CDX, CGC

R plus and- paitence what a- shocking idea

Barked: Fri Jun 30, '06 6:00am PST 
yeaaa... warning bells are ringing in my head big time. If you train yourself it just takes youa few mins to find someone to test you and do it. Its not a hard test either, especially if you are a trainer.

sidenote: you may not get what you want with send away training. It is much more effective on the bond and solidity of the behaivors when you train your dog, not someone else. Dogs who tend to go away for training break down in just a few months. Also, you don't know what they are doing to your dog while it is there and you may get back something that you didn't send away for.
[notify]

shimmer

Barked: Fri Nov 3, '06 12:48pm PST 
Some insight on the issue....

The fact that my wife and I ( or any one else for that matter) chose not to renew our CGC testers license in no way is or should be considered a indication of some type of discrepancy, inadequacy , or inability to function as a behaviorist or trainer ,that notion is simply absurd. Professionals who train their dogs to advance levels in many of the various dog disciplines, perform dog rehabilitation, or participate in the many dog venues do not need to be a Official CGC tester in order to be/indicate their expertise at what they do. In addition a CGC test in itself is only a beginner level certification from one of several popular dog registries / organizations that in reality have little or no value in reality based on what standards one associates that title with.
My wife and I participate in many dog venues to include competitive obedience ,herding trials, agility, search and rescue/fly ball ,tracking ,profession dog rehabilitation ,dog rescue ,occasional breeding, and other such venues and quite frankly have no desire or need to be a CGC tester in our endeavors as it simply nothing more than a waste of resources and time.. In addition we have found that it is far more ethical in our business to have an outside independent CGC/TDI tester perform any evaluations on dogs that come into our influence of contact so that their are little or no issues of impropriety that is associated with such events.... So I hope you find some insight to this comment.

On the issue of training options one can consider.

Any trainer worth his/or her salt knows that their are pros and cons to not only any trainers specific methods but to the type of training
regiment one could use.

1. public classes both on and off site
2. private classes both on and off site
3. board and train options
4. owner training

Public classes although beneficial can have their issues.
a. performance anxiety by the owner/handler
b. peer pressure to perform to class standard or speed
c. issues of lack of individual attention especially when divided between those with more severe issues.
d. ambiguity or lack of proper implementation of training methods
e. confusion to the dog and human in exercising or performing the process correctly
f. continual ability to properly manage ,socialize, and train the dog during none class training periods which may effect the dogs behavior negatively.
ect.ect.ect
g. social and environmental conflicts

Private training is expensive and requires many resources that may not be available for dogs with certain issues.

Board and train options.

Board and train operations vary greatly between methods of training, management, and socialization regiments and many do not adequately proof the dog’s behavior on many issues. As mentioned a good trainer can get a dog into balance quite quickly and once returned to the owner will most likely resort/revert to presenting past issues associated with the relationship or lack their of the owners leadership and management style. This is one focal point what makes one board and train facility different from another or more likely to fail .succeed in resolving the owners issues in training or rehab issues. A good/successful board and train facility will not only quickly get a dog into balance regarding it's issues with management ,socialization, and training but will also have a education program for the owner so that the owner can maintain the training, management, and socialization of the dog in a balanced state of mind. A successful board and train program will not only proof the dogs behavior under extremely high standards and distractions but will also TEST the owners ability to utilize the training.

In my experience as we have documented that a dog that goes through a complete and through board and train program is far superior in
balance than those who go through beginners or private training programs.. The key is always in how each of these train and proof both the dogs behavior and the understanding of the owners/pack members to be the leader that their dog/s need.....

I hope this provides more insight than may have been considered on the issue of board and train options verses others...

bob

DarnFar.com
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Fri Nov 3, '06 1:08pm PST 
Wow, this is an old thread!

I don't really remember it, but I think I must have misunderstood the original post from my initial response. Sounds like I thought you didn't train to CGC standards - which we agree are pretty basic! I hope I didn't offend you - I know nothing of your facility and certainly didn't mean anything personal.

Stick around - a new face in this forum is always a big treat for me! The regulars here don't have the same training styles, so I love reading responses. Even if a certain style isn't for me, I like hearing an opposing or different point of view - there's a world of info out there for me to learn from.
[notify]
shimmer

Barked: Fri Nov 3, '06 1:59pm PST 
You sound like a unusually balanced person (LOL) and it is always a pleasure to meet someoine like you... What brought me here is this.... if you go to your favorite search engine and type in DARNFAR you will observe that we are referenced on several dozen issues and as such the dogster post has taken over the top 6 th or 7th spot. I felt it nec to respond and hopefully provide some insight to the issue/comment/concern.

Now that I have looked over the forum?site I find this is a excellent source of opinion and comment that provides alot of good information regardless of ones experiences or preferences.

So I guess this is my introduction post in becoming a regular....

thanks for your response and refreshing attitude..

K9Bob
[notify]
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Fri Nov 3, '06 2:18pm PST 
Hi there! We're glad you posted too--I've always wondered about all that stuff. Especially the board and train...I used to groom this amazing cocker spaniel puppy. Her parents sent her to board and train and she came back a neurotic mess...scared to death of everything and not hesitant at all to bite or snap. The training facility they used (in NC) refused to contact or help the owners after that. I felt so awful for the little girl and her mom. She'd been such a fantastic puppy before that.

They have a place here that does wonderful training called Pupsi. They do a modified version of board-and-train, where they keep the dogs all day to train, then you come pick them up after work and YOU get a training session smile. I've seen great results come out of this place, and so fast too!

Anyway, that was a bit of a tangent. Welcome to Dogster and we hope to see you around a lot!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 4:24pm PST 
First –Darnfar Ranch has gone over my expectations on the training they provided. A little background history, I run two Australian Cattle Dogs both in agility and the younger one also runs in obedience trials. My younger dog, Coffee has space issues and gets aggressive with other dogs. Coffee is the one I took to Darnfar Ranch for the aggressive issues. Tammie and Robert are the first trainers who offered a solution instead of a work around. I dropped off an extremely excited dog which I could not control when he got focused on other dogs; and what I got back was a calm dog; that looked at people to control his surroundings. Is Coffee perfect with other dogs; no - yet his behavior has vastly improved- this is a work in progress, Tammie and Robert have given me the building blocks to work with Coffee and continues to help with these issues. This is a work in progress. Tammie and Robert work extremely well as a team; when you meet them, do not disregard Tammie; she might not move as fast as Robert, yet she is always watching and listening and her ability to read dogs is amazing. Would I recommend Darnfar Ranch to other people – YES. Do you get value for the money spent—yes!!!
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 7:07pm PST 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

It's NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD!!!!!!

(Wow, this one is 6 years old. Somebody must have Googled.)
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 7:52pm PST 
Yup, the owner of the school in question found this thread on google and is using it to promote themselves. One look at the pictures on their site and a quick read of their methodology was all I needed to see to know that this would be a place that I would never send my dogs (plus the fact that I would NEVER use a board and train facility). But, each to their own, I guess shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2