GO!

Safe Food for Bedlingtons

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Brooklyn

Barked: Sun May 20, '07 10:42pm PST 
Hi there,
i would like to ask your reference to the diet of the bedlingtons. What kind of food are safe for my puppy? Could you also tell me the varieties of dry, wet and canned foods that are copper free or low in coppper

Thankyou!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '07 4:15pm PST 
Many will tell you that there is no perfect food for Bedlingtons. I think it is most important to make sure that your dog is liver biopsied at one year of age, and then if the dog is clear, be aware of the symptoms which may indicate copper toxicosis, and be generally vigilant of the dog's health.
[notify]
Hannah Emily- Roberts

Go! Faster! //- Hey! Is that- mud? Cool!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 9:57pm PST 
I agree with the other respondent. My breeder (Chris of Camerata) is VERY vigilant about having all his pups tested at around 1 year of age yet feeds his Bedlies a wide variety of foods and encourages those of us who take his pups into our families to avoid limiting food choices for health reasons (a narrow/repetitive diet can lead to sensitivities in some dogs as in people and a wide variety from puppyhood encourages a good appetite and deters picky-ness. You need to feed your Bedlington certain foods if s/he is diagnosed with CT; otherwise, variety is the spice of life (and, in our view, likely to facilitate healthy immune systems and good health generally).
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Wed Nov 5, '08 5:50pm PST 
It's most important to feed a varied diet, as stated above. If the dog is unaffected by CT, then there is no need to limit the diet. The only way to determine if a dog is affected is to have the dog liver biopsied at 1 year. You need to observe for signs and symptoms of CT. You need to know the genetic history of the parents and grandparents. Most of all, you need to love your Bedlingtons, because they surely love you.
[notify]