GO!

Beagle Behaviour

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lily & Sandy

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 8:55pm PST 
Hi I am Lily's mum. My beagle will be 3 this summer and she is still the most hyper thing ever...she even survived (more than me) a 30km "charity fun walk". She is walked daily but if my husband is at work in tue evenings she plays up with me...she even can open doggie proofed doors and jumpvoj our kitchen table which is a meter high -to get things off the table.
If she is caught in the act she runs to the crate and shakes uncontrollably..paw up and sometimes on her back... so i dont even need to.do anything ~see punishes herself? I love my beagle but Sandy our cockerspaniel is so angelic by comparison that I dont know how to calm lily down ~ make her less naughty? I have lost her offleash before (never again) dog walk so sandy is offleash and lily is pulling me and lunging at people at other dogs ~ would a pinch collar help? Any advice on calming measures? Walking tips...?

Thanks.Lily(nearly 3) and Sandy (just turned 2) sisters new to the website!)
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 3:51pm PST 
Please don't use any form of punishment with your sweet little lady. She sounds incredibly sensitive to your moods and a time out should be the only thing that would have to be done, if at all.

My Beagle is five, going on six this year. He can STILL jump over a meter high, is still an incredible escape artist, and still has energy unbound when he feels up to it. He had a tendency to get himself into trouble quite a lot for the first few years. After he hit four, things got pretty smooth sailing. They are a slow maturing breed that loves to play and get into mischief.

The lunging while on leash sounds like overbearing excitement that she can't really express in any other way, and frustration at not being able to go and greet the other people/dogs. While it can be annoying for those of us trying to walk our cute little hounds, a pinch collar WILL NOT WORK on this breed. In fact, it will only damage the dogs neck by the way they lunge forward, and I would recommend NOT using one at all. Try a no-pull harness, or a head halter such as a halti instead(being very careful with the halti, so as not to hurt the neck).

Beagles are a breed with A LOT of energy, but there's various things you can do to help wear them out, including exercise on walks/hikes/jogging, playing with them through fetch/tug/nosework, puzzle toys, training and various other techniques that stimulate BOTH mind and body. You want to stimulate them both physically and mentally, otherwise they're going to take a lot longer to tire out.

For example, with Charlie as a youngster, I was walking him four short walks a day, one long walk, plus doggy daycare. On top of that, I was doing training during walks. We would practice commands. I would randomly stop on the walk, and ask for a sit. Once he gave the sit, we would move forward as the reward. We would practice downs, changing directions, weaving around objects, anything to make it more fun or more interesting. I would even start running full tilt for two minutes, then drop into a stop, or slow to a walk, and changing it up really helped to tire him out. I also taught him various tricks(he knows between 30 and 40 commands now) and socialized him a ton with other dogs on play dates.

These are dogs that are bred to track hare, and therefore, have been bred to GO GO GO. When you're done and tired, they're STILL ready to keep going. Often, I would go to the dog park, and our walk there and back, with dog park play would total up to 5 hours and he would still be doing zoomies when we got home! laugh out loud

I remember several times walking into my dining room to find Charlie standing on top of my kitchen table, wagging his tail. These are things you need to learn to manage and laugh at when they happen.

I would also suggest a positive reinforcement obedience class. Beagles LIVE for their nose and for delicious food rewards, so using both to your advantage to train can really help!

If you want anymore suggestions, feel free to ask or pawmail me! Welcome to dogster!
[notify]