GO!

Epilepsy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Hatch

Tatchi

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 9:31am PST 
Has any other beagles out there suffered from seizures/epilepsy? Is this common in beagles?? Hatch has had a few seizures in the last few years. his most recent seizure was a few weeks ago, and it seemed as if he was conscious during the seizure. hatch just wants to meet other beagles who are in the same situation... riding the short bus blue dog
[notify]
Tracksie- (TDIT, CGC)

Follow- Your Nose, &- Heart

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 10:26am PST 
Beagles are prone to epilepsy.
You are in my prayers Hatch hug
[notify]
Snickers

Howling at- turkeys is fun

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 4:55pm PST 
Snickers is epileptic, he has been since age 2. he takes phenobarbital which reduces his seizures quite a bit. I never realized until a few weeks ago that makes him a "special needs" dog by adoption standards. I found a beagle at my work, the humane society, having a seizure and I told that it was similar to snicker's own seizures, after which they labeled the dog, "Melba" as special needs. I just considered snickers special anyways =P
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 2:16pm PST 
I have had two beagles,my first beagle was young when she had the seizures and grew out of them. My beagle i have now was having seizures, she has not had any seizures at all since i changed her dog food it is awesome we don't even have to worry about them period. It is such a relief. And she was having some horrific seizures one after another we thought she was going to die. She is 11 years old and is doing great. We buy her dod food at Petco's. Of course she is on an allergy food for allergies.Thank God no seizures. Try Petco and try a different dog food. I really hope this will help your baby. God bless.snoopysnoopy
[notify]
Scooter

Barked: Sun Jul 5, '09 6:09am PST 
Scooter started getting seizures about 7 months ago. It was rather horrific to watch at first. However, once I knew what was occurring, I did my best to be comforted and comfort him during the attack. There is ample information available that explain its origins, symptoms, and how to cope with your Beagle during the fit. He has them less frequently now, but they still do occur about every 45-60 days or so. I won't say that the breed is prone to epilepsy, however, it is a breed where the malady is more commonly found than in other breeds (poodles, German Shepards, and Border Collies are among the more popular breeds that can have this trait as well). Its definitely something can be dealt with, and you can be comforted that your dog can still live a very happy life despite this tolerable set-back.
[notify]
Cooper

Rebel Dowg

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 3:07pm PST 
My beagle had a seizure today and one three years ago
[notify]
Rita

You only think- you're in charge

Barked: Fri Jan 29, '10 9:51pm PST 
Rita had a seizure on Thanksgiving night this year. It was pretty scary for her humans and her dogpal Fiona who has only arrived about 8 days before. We had not had any problems with seizures before or since though now we'll be on the watch for them. Oddly enough Fiona was acutely aware that something was wrong before we were as she curled up against Rita and nuzzled her right before it happened.
[notify]
Rita

You only think- you're in charge

Barked: Fri Jan 29, '10 9:53pm PST 
Rita had a seizure on Thanksgiving night this year. It was pretty scary for her humans and her dogpal Fiona who has only arrived about 8 days before. We had not had any problems with seizures before or since though now we'll be on the watch for them. Oddly enough Fiona was acutely aware that something was wrong before we were as she curled up against Rita and nuzzled her right before it happened.
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Sat Sep 25, '10 5:57pm PST 
Glad to know that there are other Beagles having the same I was terrified that I was going to loose my dog very soon because they keep getting worse but I never thought to change the dog food will try that to see if that helps. Thanks!
[notify]
Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 7:41am PST 
My beagle has never had a seizure, I thought they were really healthy? It said that on Dogs 101. (the tv show)
[notify]