GO!

what makes a good basset breeder?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tsuki, Kit,- Kiba &- Buckley

inubakablog.com

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 6:38am PST 
hello basset forum!

I have a long love for the basset breed, having fostered a basset once, nearly 2.5 years ago now.

I've always said that when we had the time to devote to it, I'd want to find a basset pup - or young rescue - to add to our family permanently.

However, being more into Shiba Inu rescue the last 2 years, I have very little knowledge of what to look for in a reputable Basset breeder. What are the key points? What tests should they do? What is a healthy litter size?

Any referrals in the PA area?

Thanks!
[notify]
Bo

the nose knows

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 1:12pm PST 
Hi
I can't really answer specifically what makes a good breeder. I adopted my basset from a rescue. I do know that bassets are prone to some health issues. My guy was diagnosed with glaucoma (can be common in bassets)before he came to us. Shortly after he arrived, he went completely blind and then had to have a double enucleation (eye removal) to end the pain he was in. So if you are going to get a dog from a breeder than you definitely want to check for that.
I know there are sites and message boards that are specifically for basset owners. thedailydrool.com is one that I sometimes look at to get info about my basset. I recently read something on there about breeders in the northeast that someone was recommending. As you probably already know there are alot of great bassets in rescue but then of course you don't know their background.

Good luck.
[notify]