GO!

Apartment dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 6:09pm PST 
I'm getting an Aussie soon. Or, at least, that's what I have my heart set on. I live in a house now, with a large yard and lots of space, but by next winter I'll be in an apartment.

I'm worrying about not having enough space for him? I feel like I'll have enough time for long walks every day and lots of attention/play, but will he just go crazy in an apartment? (Albeit a large one.) How much of it is the individual dog's temperament vs the nature of the breed? I assume I should keep my eye out for a mellow or laid back puppy.

Reassurance would be helpful, Aussie owners. (:
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 1:11pm PST 
With enough exercise, he should be fine. I'm currently living in an apartment with my Aussie and aside from leashed bathroom breaks being a pain, we do alright. The key is making sure the dog has appropriate outlets via walking, running, training, puzzle toys, etc.
[notify]
Reagan

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:08am PST 
Definitely go for a laid back Aussie. With the proper mental and physical stimulation they will live anywhere as long as you're with them.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 10:40am PST 
We have adopted two 4 year old female aussies that were very laid back. They are out there, so look for them. I would discourage you from getting a very active aussie, esp if the dog will be by itself during the day. Good luck!
[notify]