GO!

Best way to get rid of mats behind ears?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Dexter

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 4:47pm PST 
I've recently noticed my 7month Australian Shepherd has smallish mats one behind each ear. I've been working a little each day to comb them out, but it's a slow process since my pup doesn't really want to sit still. I've gotten about half of one out and maybe a third of the other out. Anyways my question is my pup has to be put under anesthesia at the vet tomorrow for surgery. My vet says he could shave out the mats at that time. What's better? Having him shave them out or me just combing them out little by little? My vet said its better to shave it cuz ill have a hard time getting all of the mat out since its right down to the skin. But when he says shave them out all I can picture is my fluffy boy with a naked head. He's not gunna shave a lot right? Or do you think he'll shave a big area! I'm worried.
[notify]
Dot

What do you mean- I'm a terror?

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 4:38pm PST 
I cut the mats out with scissors
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 9:25am PST 
It may be a little late for advice now, but I'd shave/cut them out, and then make it a habit of brushing the dog behind the ears 2-3 times per week.

I'll also trim the light wavy hair with thinning shears since a) I prefer how it looks and b) it reduces the likelihood of a mat developing.
[notify]

Dexter

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 7:58pm PST 
Thanks for the advice! I did end up having the vet shave them out. My good friend is the vet assistant at the office we go to and she promised she would shave him herself and did not take out more than she had to. I can hardly notice he's missing hair he's so fluffy, but I'm definatly stepping up my grooming. The thing is he doesn't like having his ears brushed but ill just power through it. Lotsa treats! smile Dexter is my first dog and I guess I'm just learning from my mistakes.
[notify]
Saddie

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 11:21pm PST 
Hair picks work really well for keeping mats at bay behind and around ears. My aussie had the same problem
[notify]